Zune

Discussion in 'Technology' started by karenlyn, Sep 26, 2006.

1. karenlyn

karenlyn Registered Member

Hey, I've been reading online about Microsoft Zune, their iPod-style MP3 player that will be coming out this holiday season. Anybody planning on picking one up? They look cool. I think I might ask for one for Christmas (hint-hint, Hubby!).

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I have to say they look REAL nice and I'd certainly give them a try, but for now I'll stick with what has worked for me, iPod.

[​IMG]
    Image from: Zune MP3 Player

If anything, the Zune will create a more competitive market for mp3 players and all prices will go down, so we can all look forward to that.

3. karenlyn

karenlyn Registered Member

That's a benefit, you're right... even for the people who don't plan on buying one. Have you heard that Apple has made any product that uses the word Pod in their name make a name-change? That alone makes me want to switch... That kind of thing bothers the crap out of me. Behavior like that is why everybody went PC instead of Mac 15 or 20 years ago.

4. Mirage

Well they have a Trademark on the term pod when it comes to music and mp3 devices. If somebody made a JPod, people would think it was an apple product just by the name and it would confuse people. They are just looking to protect their customers and of course keep their trademark safe. If they don't go after these people then soon the market will be flooded with EyePods, Gpods, MyPods, etc. :)

5. hokeshel

hokeshel Registered Member

Sadly, I know nothing about MP3 players. My kids all want them adn I have been wondering what kind ot buy. Our finances are pretty tight right now. ANyoen have additional recommendations or know of a good site I can check out. I tried to do some searches and got lost.

6. kknight0506

kknight0506 Registered Member

people out here are really confused with the term pod. they think that ipod is not just an apple product but many companies make mp3 players named ipod. i have to correct them a lot of times but they wont agree.
    anybody any guesses about the price of zune as it is coming with many features like fm radio, wi fi connectivity. i am sure its going to be costly than our ipod

7. Plumley

Plumley Registered Member

It happens frequently with trademarked names, people use that name to mean all products of that type. The reason manufacturers don't like that to happen is because if the trademark becomes generic, the owner can lose the rights to it. Loss of rights translates into loss of bucks. Not that I think big companies need to go after the little guys, but that's why they do it.

8. kknight0506

kknight0506 Registered Member

so i guess apple solely has the rights to use the pod term. out here i have seen couple of manufactorers using the term pod and just shaped like ipod mp3 player which are selling likt hot cakes

9. Samm

Samm New Member

The zune was not much of a seller, I guess they should have tried to promote it better, I heard they flopped at the sales, too bad, it had potential.

10. Mirage

I heard this as well. This is a major problem for Microsoft's image right now.

The Zune has been referred to as a cheap wannabe iPod. This is not good.

As much as I had hoped to see Zune succeed, I will stick with my 60 GB iPod thank you. :D