zOMG I joined a gym!

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Yeah, after years of not bothering about gym and related stuff, I gave in.

Gym has been an alien concept to me. I figured I'll just exercise at home or that I get cardio training when I do my walks. But on my recent vacation, I started checking out the hotel gym and actually liked it. It wasn't as intimidating as I thought it would be. In addition, I have decided to quit smoking tomorrow. I need a project!

So today, I went to the only gym I know near here. The only reason I noticed its existence is that I go to McDonald's (the only McD in my town) and it's in front of mcD (the irony).

I enrolled and will start on Saturday. They also have collective classes - not sure if some of you guys are familiar with Les Mills (group fitness program) RPM Group Fitness Program - Les Mills West Coast

So during the times I'm not following my personal training (which I'll only set next week with my trainor), I'll be checking out the collective classes of steps, FAC, and bodyflow (mix of tai chi, pilates, and yoga) before venturing into more intensive workout of bodyattack and bodypump.

I'm psyched. :hyper: I hope I'll still be this motivated after several sessions. After all, it's bloody expensive! How much are you guys paying for you gym? I took a 6mo subscription and it costs about 90€/mo (about 123$).

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's awesome Ysabel, good for you and I truly hope you stick with it. Some days you'll tell yourself that you don't want to go, but don't listen to that voice and just go. I do that from time to time, but when I start it's not all that bad.

I pay 0$ per month for my Gym, I get it for free at work, and it has everything that you need. I love it.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I go to the gym at work, but still have to pay $20 a month for it. It does beat other membership premiums in this area though.

Awesome on the quitting smoking thing, I really hope you can get that licked this time. :)

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Lucky you!

I think I need to get some mp3 player now so I have something to do. My phone doesn't have internet. Or maybe I should change my phone and get the one with internet so I can listen to online radio stations.

Does listening to music really help?
------
I go to the gym at work, but still have to pay $20 a month for it. It does beat other membership premiums in this area though.

Awesome on the quitting smoking thing, I really hope you can get that licked this time. :)
Yeah, well before it was minimising fags (only smoke when drinking or down to 5 fags a day). I figured this time I'll just quit since I managed 4 days of daily drinking without it. I'm also going back to singing. I joined a festival project for June with rehearsals that start this month. All in all, the timing is perfect. :)

Last edited:
That's fantastic, Ysabel! It's not just the physical benefits, but the mental ones as well that you'll appreciate.
I only went sporadically through the winter and just started back on a regular basis last week. I have no idea why I slowed down. Guess I forgot how good it makes you feel.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
That's fantastic, Ysabel! It's not just the physical benefits, but the mental ones as well that you'll appreciate.
I only went sporadically through the winter and just started back on a regular basis last week. I have no idea why I slowed down. Guess I forgot how good it makes you feel.
I guess I was looking for that mostly - the mental benefits. I thought it was strange. But apparently not. I've never really been that concerned about my physique, and maybe that's why I felt like I didn't need to go to the gym. Now I'm hoping it will help me mentally - and deal with stress. Was it effective in that sense for you?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
From what I hear from most people...working out makes them feel good. I am not one of those people. I never get those endorphins. I almost think it's a lie that people say just to encourage me to work out.

I like the results, but I definitely don't like going.

Unity

Jedi Mind Tricks
Staff member
Glad to hear it ysabel! I joined one here in the States (Clubfitness.us if you want to check it out), and I'm loving it so far. Just joined last Friday, actually!

I'm only paying $15.00 a month, it's pretty nice.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Glad to hear it ysabel! I joined one here in the States (Clubfitness.us if you want to check it out), and I'm loving it so far. Just joined last Friday, actually!

I'm only paying $15.00 a month, it's pretty nice.
Great, we can encourage each other! Haha

I just found out why my gym has an almost ridiculous membership rate. It's because those Les Mills classes they're offering are costly. If some take the classes separately (but still a group rate), it can be 15usd per session. So I guess I should at least attend those classes 3x/wk aside from the regular gyming to make my payment worth it. Everyday they hold 3-5 classes. You can even participate in all if you have the stamina haha.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
If I work out alone I like to listen to music, it does help motivate you, especially when your running. But if I train with someone else which I usually do I don't listen to music and my buddy motivates me when I need to.