• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Zombie Creating Fungi

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.

BlackCat

Registered Member
Thats no news!! There are parasite maggots that infest snails too, turning them into "zombies" too. You should check it.
BTW, nice idea to share this info...

BrinkOfExistence

Registered Member
first time i've heard of it, it's pretty creepy but they're not really like zombies, i was expecting them to start eating the other ants and turning them into zombies. I mean thats what a zombie is isn't it?

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I think this is something mediocre that's been blown out of proportion.

Some fungus is just growing on matter on which it can subsist. Naturally it will interfere with the ant's functioning, and given the size of the fungus, it will kill the ant. After which it grows and spreads its spores just like any other fungus.

This video tries to make it look like the fungus was designed like a computer virus with a definite plan and having the intelligence to control an ant. There's nothing special about this; it's just a freak video.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
I only watched the YouTube video and it creeped me out. Not the "zombie" part which is, just as fractal said, blown out of proportion.

Just the fact that fungi can overtake them and grow like that is really...disturbing and gross. As if bugs natural states didn't gross me out enough! That's really creepy. I actually feel sorry for them. lol

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
Living putrefaction. I've had a fungal infection on my skin before, but if a little mushroom grew out of me, I would start crying regardless of my age or the place.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Living putrefaction. I've had a fungal infection on my skin before, but if a little mushroom grew out of me, I would start crying regardless of my age or the place.
As would I!

My first reaction to this video was that of shock and awe, but then I realized that phenomenon like this exists all over the world. With at least 22,000 species of fungi, it is sure that another species does this.

Personally, though, I had never seen anything like this before, and I loved watching the Planet Earth footage.

TNBs

Registered Member
I think this is something mediocre that's been blown out of proportion.

Some fungus is just growing on matter on which it can subsist. Naturally it will interfere with the ant's functioning, and given the size of the fungus, it will kill the ant. After which it grows and spreads its spores just like any other fungus.

This video tries to make it look like the fungus was designed like a computer virus with a definite plan and having the intelligence to control an ant. There's nothing special about this; it's just a freak video.
It does seem like a sci fi film, but its true. As a mycology hobbyist myself, I find this utterly fascinating. In the book "Mycelium Running" it explains exactly what happens. I will say this: people are freaking out and are blowing it out of proportion, no matter how cool it is. This fungus really does "mind control" the species of insect it is targeting.

Oh yeah..... have you ever seen "The Happening"? What about a number two....?