• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

NES Zelda II: Shadow of Night

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Raise your hand if you thought Zelda II: The Adventure of Link was too easy.

Anyone?

*crickets*

No, me neither. But the good news is that if you're a fan of the original and you're also a masochist, there is Zelda II: Shadow of Night.

Shadow of Night is a Zelda II ROM hack, a much, much, much more difficult version of the original with completely redesigned overworld and palace layouts, beefed up enemies and bosses (you can't just crouch in a corner and kill Carock or Dark Link anymore), more difficult platforming with more of those aggravating lava pits, as well as level ups being more costly and starting with only three heart and magic containers instead of four.

I've watched some of the best Zelda II speedrunners repeatedly game over while playing this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UWFlIqECRg

Pretty sure that was done using save states, so it looks a lot easier than it is.

I'm kind of tempted to give it a try and see how far I'd get.

dDave

V.I.P.
Kill me now? Please?

The game wasn't ridiculously hard once you figure out the secret to the combat. Now, figuring out that secret is the real trick. Some parts, however, were simply designed to be unfair and even abusive to gamers.

Is there a way to get this game? I'd actually like to try it. If not then I do have my NES stored away in the closet and a working copy of both Zelda games. :) I should pull those out sometime.

I'm in that camp that believes the second quest of the original game was harder than Zelda II. Zelda II is still very tough.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think this might be harder than Zelda 1's second quest.

You probably have to download it. I'll look into that and report back.