Yzerman vs Sakic

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

You can't go wrong with either players. Both were tremendous hockey players, not only where they offensive machines but they were great overall players, who did everything on the rink. Both were great leaders and captains. They pretty much did everything out there.

Now with that being all said, in your opinion who had the better career between these two players?

Thoughts and opinions?

2. Rhiessan

Rhiessan New Member

Yzerman for me no question.

I saw both from the beginning and Stevie had this magic that Sakic didn't.

Sakic was always good but he didn't become that "elite" player until later in his career.
    Stevie was elite almost from the beginning and continued to be that way in an offensive or later in a defensive role right till the end.

Anyone that can get 155 points with Gallant and Barr on his wings has got something special going on.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

What do you mean in the bolded part? I saw most of these careers as well and Sakic had "magic" as well. He was a phenomenal player that made his teammates better, had the best wrist shot in the NHL in his career and he stepped up in clutch situations. If that's not magic then I don't know what it is.

Care to explain please?

4. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I think he felt more coming from Yzerman then from Sakic, not that Sakic had no magic at all.

..and it's hard for me to answer this question without being bias because of the Red Wings, but they were both outstanding players. What always sticks out to me the most is the fact that they stayed on their respective teams for their entire career. They didn't say, hey, you know what.. give me this much money or I'm gone. 20+ years for each.. minus the lock out.

I'm not 100% sure how the Hockey Hall of Fame voting works, but however it works, Sakic is defiantly a first ballot for sure.

To play at such a high level, minus some injuries, for so long is just amazing for both of them.

5. Rhiessan

Rhiessan New Member

Petty simple really, for the first half of his career, Yzerman had you on the edge of your seat any time he touched the puck.
    Sakic just didn't have that excitement.
    With Stevie you had that anticipation all the time and when the game was over you knew exactly who #19 was whether he scored or not.
    Wasn't like that with Sakic, even when he did score you didn't come away thinking wow, what a player and when he didn't score you could actually have trouble remembering he even dressed.

I'm not knocking Joe, he was a great player, he just didn't have that aura that Stevie had or the ability to make something out of nothing at anytime.