Yugioh V Pokemon

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
Which trading card game did you prefere?

In my opinion Pokemon was far bigger and the trading cards had England gripped. I used to spend about £20 a month on cards. They got so bad that my school banned them as fights and arguments were breaking out.

I never got into the Yugioh trading card game, I thought it was a cheap imitation of Pokemon.

What do you guys think, were you as gripped with pokemon as I was or did you prefere Yugioh?

redsoxocd

living on the border
Definately YuGioh. I never saw Pokemon cards get as much attention as Yugioh cards do. YuGioh cards are still huge in the U.S. Everyday when I go to the library, no matter which one I go to, there are huge amounts of people gathered around tables playing. They have the little mats and everything. Since the 4rd grade (7 years ago) I havent seen anyone with Pokemon cards

I'm currently trying to learn how to play YuGioh

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
I was working for Wizards when they introduced Poke Mon so I have all the cards even the ones that they never made public (promo art cards) bu I do prefer Yu-Gi-Oh.

The game is more interesting to play and the art work on the cards is far better. I still play Yu-gi-Oh with my son..He loves it.

I would say that Yu-Gi-Oh out sell Poke Mon here on the east coast..You don't see all that many Poke Mon leagues anymore but the Yu-Gi-Oh ones are still going strong.

So I would have to say Yu-Gi-Oh...:D Besides he has better clothes than Ash.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yu-Gi-Oh was a much tougher game (and definitely not a rip of Pokemon, Digimon was a rip of Pokemon). Duel Masters was the Yu-Gi-Oh rip-off, by the way.

YGO was fun, addicting, but Upperdeck fucked that game twelve ways to Sunday and got really boring and lame really quickly.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I collected pokemon, but played yugioh. I like the colors for Pokemon a lot more. It was brighter and the card art was a lot more creative. There were lots of different versions of your favorite pokemon that you could collect.

Yugioh cards were a lot darker and more serious in a way. Definitely not sute and cuddly like pokemon was. I wish I still collected yugioh though. Some of the new ones that came out look badass. I quit playing because I didn't have the time and money and they were just coming out with too many cards in such a short amount of time.

It used to be a new set every few months, maybe even 2 a year, but then it was one or two every other month with smaller sets on the side. It got out of hand. In the words of Kaiba "I know, but I have no choice....I have to actually learn how to play duel monsters"

Right now, I'd rather have a cool pokemon card over a cool yugioh card.

Henskie

The Super Pimp of GF
Here is my two cents
Artwork:
Pokemon's artwork is more kiddish and really not all that amazing

Yugioh:
Not amazing but there are some really cool looking cards.

Rules:
Pokemon:
fairly simple and straightforward not a lot of complication which makes it easy for kids to learn.

Yugioh:
Despite the rating for 6+ it is really complicated and has a steep learning curve and there are many situations where someone might be confused which gears it more towards mature audiences.

Actual Popularity:
Pokemon:
A major craze for a long period of time: banned in most elementary schools, many hobby leagues but as of now the popularity has declined majorly. The population of fans is mostly kids under 13.

Yugioh
A pretty big craze also banned in schools, some hobby leagues. The audience is much larger variety of ages.

My personal ruling
I have played both but personally I prefer yugioh it involves a lot more strategy and I like the monsters and artwork better

Wade8813

Registered Member
Yu-Gi-Oh was a much tougher game (and definitely not a rip of Pokemon, Digimon was a rip of Pokemon). Duel Masters was the Yu-Gi-Oh rip-off, by the way.

YGO was fun, addicting, but Upperdeck fucked that game twelve ways to Sunday and got really boring and lame really quickly.
Trust me, Pokemon could be just as challenging as Yugioh.

And no, Upperdeck didn't do anything wrong with Yugioh. Konami of Japan did. Look at what Upperdeck does with WoW, and did with VS. They're amazing at running card games. They put out the best prize support, they listen to what people want, they manage things well; heck, they even provided free pizza and pop at the last WoW tournament I went to (it had over 100 people). I've talked with many insiders from Upperdeck. They all wish they could make things better, but since Konami owns the rights, they get to decide everything. Konami nixes everything that Upperdeck wants to do to make Yugioh better - and that's why I stopped playing. You can pretty much assume that everything wrong with Yugioh is Konami's fault.