• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

YouTube defaulting to 480p

dDave

V.I.P.
Since everyone is now home, YouTube has decided to limit the default setting to 480p to prevent the mass influx of simultaneous users from overwhelming the system.

You can still select any higher resolution you want but it has to be manually selected. I think they've done this to save bandwidth for a while as a lot of people simply won't notice or care.

Thoughts?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Smart move. Servers only have so much bandwidth and YouTube can avoid speed drops and interruptions this way.

dDave

V.I.P.
I thought it was brilliant to make it default but optional. That way those of us that care don't lose our experience and the general populace is none the wiser.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't realize this, but I also wasn't on YouTube today. Glad to realize it's optional and that I can change it back. This was a really smart move though and I completely agree with it from a server admin perspective.

dDave

V.I.P.
I didn't realize this, but I also wasn't on YouTube today. Glad to realize it's optional and that I can change it back. This was a really smart move though and I completely agree with it from a server admin perspective.
They have been doing it internationally for a while. It only hit America in the last few days.

honestly, this one move is probably having a measurable impact on total internet bandwidth usage worldwide.