• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

You're posting where you live without knowing...

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Kinda of freaky, uh? It's amazing what the unknowing can do to harm themselves without even knowing it. I always thought "checking in" and using location finding services when posting a picture on Facebook would have some adverse effect and I was right. As they always say, when you put something on the internet, it's there forever.

Would be nice if these websites and smart phone apps would give disclaimers up front about the drawbacks of using certain features.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I don't understand why anyone checks in where they are. I think it's so stupid and you're just asking for trouble doing that.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I mean, I'll admit that I take pictures and post them on Twitter when I go to events and stuff. But I don't go to the bar and announce it to the whole world that I'm not gonna be home for the next 4 hours.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Not sure if you'd be amazed, but so many people have been robbed like that. From their facebook friends...

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Crypticshock said:
Not sure if you'd be amazed, but so many people have been robbed like that. From their facebook friends...
I've heard of that too. I only tweet things like that under certain circumstances, like when other family members are at home and stuff. Plus I'm not dumb and I don't put my address out there on the internet (I mean, I know it can probably be found anyway if you look hard enough). In college, my roommate put our address on his Facebook profile, and I was so furious at him for doing that. Fortunately, nothing happened, but if we had ever gotten robbed, I would have beat him up.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Yeah... it's awesome. People should think.

Do you... walk around the street with your home address printed on your shirt, handing out photographs of all of the expensive things you have in your house? Pictures of your car? Pictures of your kids? Well, posting them on facebook, without privacy measures, is the same thing...