• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

You're favourite Decade

thealigator

Registered Member
I was talking with a friend the other day about the 90's. It was a great time. Here in the UK Britpop was making an amazing noise that was changing the face of the industry. Politics was seemingly getting better with a bright and hopeful Tony Blair. There were no wars, there was no real terror and it just seemed like a great time where there was so much potential and we seemed to lose this in the 2000s.

I truly miss it, things seemed less complicated, we seemed to be less under threat and the economy was not something to fear.

What would you say was your favourite decade?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Good thread idea. That's such a tough question. I may have to say the 80s if we're going with overall culture and music and such. My favorite band got started in '89, and since I was born in 1982 the culture really stood out to me. The same could be the same for the 90s since they were my formative years in a lot of ways, but I'm an 80s kid haha.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
In terms of pop culture I would definitely say the 90s, but that's when I grew up, so I'm obviously biased. A lot of 90s rock and alternative rock still holds up today. Rap was kind of at its peak in the late 80s through the 90s. MTV was actually watchable. Film was starting to evolve, becoming more artistic and more cutting edge. And it was also a great era for video games.

I look back at movies and music from the 80s and it's mostly just a bunch of cheesy crap.

I will say that TV dramas have come a long way in the 00s and 10s, but that might be the best thing we have going for us right now.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
For when it comes to Baseball, I'll say the 1920's and 1930's because of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig and a few more players. Would have loved to lived through that decade.

But when it comes to pop culture, it's definitely the 80s and it's not even close. Love 80s music, love 80s sitcoms. People are so shocked that my favourite songs/bands and tv shows are from that decade.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Tough one but I'd have to go with the 90s. As a wrestling fan, the mid-to-late 90s were such an epic moment for us with great action and everything. But so many great stuff in pop culture emerged in the 90s that I can't help but think that it was the best decade.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
Tough question! Looking specifically at music, I'd without any doubt say the 1960s and 1970s. However, will not call those my favorite decades overall because I know they were plagued with bad wars

Music is just so important to me in this decision, though. I don't like the music of the 80s and find the music of the 90s to be forgettable. Technically the 90s are my childhood, so that says a lot. The 00s and 10s are hit-or-miss. Like there are some amazing songs, then there are some that are a number of popular music they play that I literally consider noise without any merit. Not going to go before the 60s, since the music I listen to pre-60s is almost entirely Classical and not only is that a big can of worms with me (I love so much of it and can't even begin to decide) but it's not separated by decade like pop music.

I really enjoyed the Cartoon Network cartoons of the late 90s, but then again I enjoy cartoons from this era just as much, to be honest.

The sweet spot for video games would fall in the late 90s and early 00s for me, so choosing a decade over that won't work (many of the franchises I loved then really had some bad entries in the late 00s, like Animal Crossing: City Folk, while I don't enjoy as many games before the 64 era)

Other forms are media aren't really as important to me, since I don't regularly partake in them.

So... I don't know. lol.