• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Your Top 5 Games of 2016

Konshentz

Konshentz
2016 was a pretty awful year... but it didn't completely suck when it came to video games. What are your favorite games released this calendar year?

Mine are...

1.) Firewatch
2.) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
3.) Oxenfree
4.) Batman: A Telltale Series
5.) Mafia III

Firewatch was amazing, it easily gives Gone Home a run for its money as the King of "walking simulators". The voice acting is some of the best I've ever heard, rivaling huge Triple A games like Uncharted or The Last of Us.

Uncharted was great. It's always great. This one was probably the best of the bunch. A must-play for all PS4 owners. But for the love of God, please play them in order! Haha..

Oxenfree was cool and new and had a great story. Great art style and a lot of fun to replay.

Telltale's Batman was awesome. I loved the way they messed with the Batman lore. This may have landed higher on the list if not for running like dog shit for most of the final episode. Seriously, Telltale, fix your Goddamn engine please.

Mafia III's gameplay is repetitive and actually kinda boring, but it's story is so good that it gets a place on this list despite all of that. I was surprised how far they pushed this story. Lincoln Clay was one of my favorite characters of the year.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I take it I should get Firewatch then? That's one of the games I was thinking of getting.

To be honest, I'm not sure I even played five games from this year. Or any? I tend to be a couple years behind on my game purchases.

BrandonKFTW

I dunno about you guys (btw HEY LOOK I'M BACK FOR A POST), but 2016 was stunning for games for my type of style. From good multiplayer in Overwatch, Uncharted 4, and TItanfall 2 to stunning singleplayer in Oxenfree, Inside, and Virginia. It is the most even year in a looooooooooong time.

My Honorable Mentions: Virginia, Far Cry Primal, Rez Infinite (thanks to PS VR), The Witness, and Abzu.

#5 - Pokemon Sun/Moon - Itched my nostalgia itch for the pocket monsters that I didn't know I had. Reminded me of the pure bliss of Generations 1 & 2 with new mechanics that helped push Generation 7 to a new level. The endgame really works and a cool moment at the end was awesome. In a good year for Nintendo (best since 2009 IMO) with Pokken Tournament, Kirby Planet Robobot, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (all of which I played), it takes a lot for Pokemon to take the top spot.

#4 - Oxenfree - Twin Peaks + Dawson's Creek + Supernatural. I mean... why not? Written beautifully and organically, Oxenfree brought me in and held me there. Plus a reason to replay with that ending.

#3 - Firewatch - Like Kons said, it gave Gone Home a run for its' money in the walking sim department. Nothing like it this year. Great writing. Great characters, and a presentation that fit the tone all lead to a great package.

#2 - Inside - Holy balls that ending. That ending and the real ending. Wow. Take Limbo and amplify the quality by 1000x and you get Inside. The atmosphere presented by Playdead tells a story that words would have not even been able to, and if you immerse yourself in the world with no knowledge of the ending, it will give you chills.

#1 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - I still have yet to play the first 3, but what U4 brought to me was a stunning single player campaign that looks and plays like a charm, a surprisingly satisfying multiplayer, and a wonderful collection of moments that made me go "wow, so that just happened", across both modes. Innovative in storytelling, and innovative in MP, U4 joins my previous GOTYs..

07 - Super Mario Galaxy
08 - Grand Theft Auto 4
09 - Dragon Age: Origins
10 - Red Dead Redemption
11 - ES V: Skyrim
12 - Telltale's The Walking Dead: Season 1
13 - Grand Theft Auto 5
14 - Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
15 - Life is Strange
... and now 16 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

What a year. Let's hope 2017 is just as fun.