• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Your take on indie games?

viLky

ykLiv
What are your thoughts on indie games? Do you enjoy them? Support them? Think they suck?

I believe the only REAL current indie game I currently have is the one I got from Steam for a discounted price. I honestly think I wouldn't pay more than $5 for one unless it was strongly recommended by friends and peers. That being said, the game is Numen: Contest of Heroes. I also have Torchlight, but I don't know if that is labled an indie game. If it is, I'll comment on it, if not, I won't bring it up again.

It was a cold day, Steam updated their games and Numen: Contest of Heroes was on sale for $2. Figured I'll pick it up and on another day I would play it. That day came around and I gave it a whirl. It... was... It was basically a nostalgia hit for me. It reminded me very much of a PlayStation game called The Grandsteam Saga. Since it was a nosgalgia hit - and since I don't like the nostalgia feeling - I didn't really enjoy it. That left a bad taste in my mouth and I think it set a stigma on indie games for me. That's probably why I don't give them the benefit of the doubt any longer.... unless they are at a reduced price. ^.^

How about you all?

Questions (if you want to answer):
1) Do you buy any indie games? If so, which ones?
2) Do you think indie game creators should be more unique in their approach to making games, or using what already works and copying that?
3) If you had to rank indie companies to a popular companies, where would it rank?

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
1) I buy indie games. I actually have grown from a mainstream gamer to an indie gamer. Braid and Minecraft amongst many, many others.

2) There are no two indie games that are the same. What works is what works, and nothing more "unique" needed.

3) I don't quite understand this question. Ranking indie games to a popular company? Maybe you mean ranking indie companies with big companies? If so, then the big indie guns would rank with the EAs and the Activisions.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I think independant developers and games are great. The fact that they often don't have a lot of cash to work with lets them try new ideas, whereas big companies can't always afford to do that. Of course, with less money means more limitations, but I consider it a good trade-off.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I think independant developers and games are great. The fact that they often don't have a lot of cash to work with lets them try new ideas, whereas big companies can't always afford to do that. Of course, with less money means more limitations, but I consider it a good trade-off.
I see it as a good trade-off as well. There are always limitations, but unlike the big companies, I see the limitations in the area of money and not in the area of creativity.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
To back up my statement about trying new ideas, I'd like to point to Japanese independant game, Recettear. In a complete reversal of RPG roles, you don't play as the big burly hero out to right wrongs and all that; you are instead a girl who opens up an item shop. So, rather than playing as the hero who buys from the shopkeeper, you are the shopkeeper selling to the hero. The entire point of the game, then, is to build up the best shop in the village by being a shrewd merchant.

This also carries over to what dungeon crawling there is in the game, as your character is completely protected from all harm, while the hero you temporarilly take control off fights for you just so you can get items to sell at your shop.

Kanji

Registered Member
I buy indie games from time to time. My Favorites are Audiosurf, Beat Hazard, Eets, Music Catch, Mevo and The Groove Riders, Ninja Reflex, Osmos, and Zombie bowl-o-rama.