Wii Your Super Mario Galaxies Expectations?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Mirage, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Super Mario Galaxies has been hyped as the true Mario sequel worthy of ranking among the likes of Mario 64 when it comes to gameplay, innovation, and lasting appeal. The bar was set so incredibly high with Mario 64 that I think SMG could either be a huge success, or a huge let down.

There's no question about it. Kids will love this game. It's Mario, and you can control him in different worlds. What more could a kid who hasn't played previous Mario games ask for or really even look for?

Nintendo fans from the earlier generations will be the hardest to please though. In many ways, Nintendo can't please everybody, but based on Mario 64 sales numbers, they have to be aware that fans are going to be nit picky with SMG.

Here's what I'd like to see. I really hope it is very similar to Mario 64 in overall feel. Mario 64 is among my top 3 favorite games of all time EASILY. Sometimes I even rank Mario 64 as my #1 favorite game ever. (My other two are NiGHTS: Into Dreams for Sega Saturn, and GoldenEye for N64). Anyway, the level of detail and overall gameplay factors such as stars, unlocking different areas of the castle, and the many different level types was really what made Mario 64 such a great game for me.

The sound effects, music, and visual effects were stunning at the time. Heck you can still catch me listening to the Mario 64 soundtrack now and then, I'm not going to lie. The music really did an amazing job of setting the tone for the game.

Super Mario Sunshine didn't do anything for me. Granted, I didn't really give it a chance, but cleaning up a world of poo didn't really seem too exciting to me. From what I hear SMG will stay more true to what worked in Mario 64 instead of building off of Sunshine. I sure hope so. My expectations for this game couldn't be higher.

Unfortunately, all that being said, I'm pretty sure that Super Mario Galaxies will not be better than Mario 64. If it is, then it will have succeeded in becoming one of my favorite games of all time. I've played QUITE a few games, so ranking within my top 3 will be quite a feat in itself.

I guess we will all find out soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

2. SamusAran86

SamusAran86 Registered Member

I have a feelin that Galaxies will otsell M64. WHY, because of the fact that its revolutionizing like Mario64 did over Mario World. sunshine, while be highly bashed because it wasnt a 'true' sequal to 64, this is somethig completly different

Small planets/BIG worlds, bowser battles ala M64...

gravity will play a HUGE roll in the game, and not to mention the HUGE spoiler after collecting all 120 stars and beating Bowser

this title has the power to become bigger than halo (though I think Brawl will do it) but this is the best N has to offer this year. Galaxies wil compete for GOTY but I still dont thin it will pass halo3

just youtube it man... you'd be surprised at the worlds, and powers mario has

return of the 'flower power' different 'suits' to wear, along with innovative gameplay and other ner elements... Galaxies will be the one to beat ( though I still thin halo will take the crown)

3. JjCrazyboy

JjCrazyboy Registered Member

I am very much looing forward to this game. I hope it isn't another sunshine though but from the impressions that I have heard it does not look like it is. I am extremely excited to play it.

4. SamusAran86

I still dont get why people bash sunshine, it was a excellent game. sure it was a tropical setting, but the game was great. variety of levels, and each one has a part where you lost F.L.U.D.D. and some of those were completly awsome. specially the sand phoenix one

5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Registered Member

This and Super Smash are the reasons i bought a Wii, if they're crap, bye bye to the Wii...

6. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I am expecting a very good mario game, the way that the Wii is controlled makes everything about it unique, I am expecting the mario Galaxies game to have a different but good feel from the other Mario games, they have probably incorporated soem type of new jumping system into the game, I am definitely looking forward to this though because it looks like a lot of fun, from what I have seen it looks like they got as far away as they possibly could from Mario running around with a living water backpack (stupid backpack!) and cleaning up a mess running around in a place that does not feel like mario at all,

I am definitely expecting this game to be a huge step up from Mario Sunshine, it looks as if it could possibly compare to Super Mario 64 but I'm not sure because Mario 64 was by far the best Mario game ever created as far as 3-D mario games go, I haven't played all of the sidescrolling Mario Games so I can't say that.

I am expecting a great game that uses the Wii to it's full potential...

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Does anybody know if SMG will have 100 gold coin stars? Those were some of the hardest stars in Mario 64 but I loved them. I hope SMG is very challenging in some parts. I don't want to be able to beat it too quickly.

8. SamusAran86

OK, from everything I have read/watched...

THe game starts out easy, gets progressivly harder, some of the final stars are supposed to be really tough to get, as far as time, you could probably beat it in 10 hours on first play through, but that would be only gaining the minimum stars required to get to final bowser (I believe its 60 stars,kinda like Sunshine, but kinda dissapointing to me, since you had to have at least 70 in M64) One of my worries is if they have retured the blue coins... some of those in SMS were really tough to get.

Not sure about the 100 coin star, but I would be dissapointed if it were not in the game. Its kinda a staple of the 3D Mario games

100 coin star in M64 were easy to get, now SMS was a different beast though, as you could only get those on certain levels.

9. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Oh 100 coins...

I have some very bad memories of that from Mario 64

I kept falling when I was in the red coin area in Tiny Huge Island and it got really annoying

another really bad one was Rainbow ride (Some of you are having bad memories here)

But I liked Mario 64 so it's all good

Hopefully they keep 100 coins as a star it was always the best one to get.

10. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

I really loved the Mario 64. I actually was thinking about playing it again really soon. I missed it. I do hope that the new one is not a let down. My wife and I both love the Mario games of the past. We play them a lot.