Your 'right' to life.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Interesting topic I encountered in another thread, in regards to murderers and the death penalty.

Is it really up to us to decide if someone no longer deserves to live? In the case of the death penalty for murder, we're killing the criminal because we feel he has given up his right to live. An eye for an eye basically. Can someone really loseright to live?

As far as I'm concerned, everyone has a right to live no matter what. The cycle has to end somewhere right. If you kill someone because they killed someone, then someone should be able to kill you for killing the killer and so on and so forth.

Also, in the case of anti abortionists calling for the death penalty on the doctors who perform abortions. I find it wierd that they call themselves pro life, but still call for death. They should rename themselves the pro baby or whatever. Also if their pushing for even a fetus to have a right to live, shouldn't they be pushing for a murderer, who is full grown, and just made some bad choices to have a right to live? If you're gonna be pro life, you should be pro EVERYONE's life.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
This argument is as dumb as saying we shouldn't have been involved in stopping Hitler.

I guess you can't be Pro-Life and support such wars either?

Pro-Life is not synonymous with pacifism.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Not necessarliy. The death penalty is a criminal sanction and the government has the right to deprive someone of that life with due process of law. A society has the duty to enact penalties that coincide with the crime committed.

That's not even in the same ball park as abortion. Aborting a fetus could be construed as murder, enacting the death penalty is not. It's a sanction.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Either way, regardless if the law allows it or not, murder, abortion, self defense etc, is still ending someone's life. I suppose I'm just a super pacifist lol, but I don't think anyone should ever deserve to die before their time, even if some man made law sanctions it.

“Made some bad choices”? Stealing a car is a poor choice. Somehow killing another human being seems a bit more than a “bad choice”.

An innocent life/fetus hasn’t had the opportunity to make any choices at all. It doesn’t even have a voice to cry out for itself and beg to live. Someone has to be there and stand up for the unborn.

Now, a criminal who chose to kill someone, knowing it was wrong, and knowing the consequences as well, has to take their punishment, even it means death. They made the choice, and now they have to live with it. Or not, as the case may be.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
To be fair if there was a bill that made both abortion and the death penalty illegal, I'd support it. There have been over 50,000,000 abortions in America since Roe v. Wade. In that time there have been just over 1,000 people executed. Letting 1,000 guilty people live is worth it if 50,000,000 innocent lives are saved.

I just don't see the issues as one in the same though. I don't think they have to be grouped together, or that somebody can't support one but not the other.

redsoxocd

living on the border
I think that the justice system should be able to decide is someone has the right to live. Especially if that person decided that someone else didnt have that right.

Now about being Pro-Life, its completely different from the death penalty. That baby didnt have a chance to live. A murder did.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Also, in the case of anti abortionists calling for the death penalty on the doctors who perform abortions. I find it wierd that they call themselves pro life, but still call for death. They should rename themselves the pro baby or whatever. Also if their pushing for even a fetus to have a right to live, shouldn't they be pushing for a murderer, who is full grown, and just made some bad choices to have a right to live? If you're gonna be pro life, you should be pro EVERYONE's life.
If this works, then the opposite works even more so. That being that anyone who is pro-abortion would have to be pro-death penalty also. I don't think either argument works.

I'm generally pro-death penalty for the worst crimes. I'm not 100% comfortable stepping into God's territory concerning life and death, but I also see a need to administer justice.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Interesting topic I encountered in another thread, in regards to murderers and the death penalty.

Is it really up to us to decide if someone no longer deserves to live? In the case of the death penalty for murder, we're killing the criminal because we feel he has given up his right to live. An eye for an eye basically. Can someone really loseright to live?

As far as I'm concerned, everyone has a right to live no matter what. The cycle has to end somewhere right. If you kill someone because they killed someone, then someone should be able to kill you for killing the killer and so on and so forth.

Just to clarify - your post includes somewhat imprecise terms. We don't kill someone for killing. We kill someone for murdering. A person who kills in self defense isn't a murderer. A person who lawfully kills an enemy combatant in war isn't a murderer. Thus, your seemingly logical argument that 'person A killing person B for killing would mean person A needs to be killed' is inaccurate.

If you want to argue it from another angle, that can work, but this argument doesn't.

Either way, regardless if the law allows it or not, murder, abortion, self defense etc, is still ending someone's life. I suppose I'm just a super pacifist lol, but I don't think anyone should ever deserve to die before their time, even if some man made law sanctions it.
What about in cases of self defense, where the only way to save your own life is to kill?

For that matter, what about in cases of national defense?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
If this works, then the opposite works even more so. That being that anyone who is pro-abortion would have to be pro-death penalty also. I don't think either argument works.

I'm generally pro-death penalty for the worst crimes. I'm not 100% comfortable stepping into God's territory concerning life and death, but I also see a need to administer justice.
God mentions in the bible that taking a life in self defense is ok, and not a sin. As you obviously know I'm ok in taking a life in self defense. The death penalty I am for for the most heinous of crimes, otherwise, let em rot in prison on an island somewhere.