• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Your preference to watch a movie?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's only so many ways to watch movies, but what way is your favorite? Are you patient enough for the DVD if you don't want to go and spend $15 at the theaters?(That's for something you really want to see.) Do you download them? If you enjoyed what you downloaded, do you buy the movie? Do you go out of your way to buy a hard copy of something?

Thoughts?

BobbyD_29

I live in a smallish Quebec town and our local theatre only shows french versions of movies except for 1 representation of 1 movie a week in english...so there's a good chance that the movie shown might not be one I'm interested in seeing. The last movie I saw in a theatre was the last Batman that I saw in Montreal, and I only went because it was a work thing attached to it and it was free! ;) Before that, I think the last movie I saw in a theatre was Black Hawk Down.

I collect Dvds and Blurays. I have a little over 500 movies at the moment. I never download movies and I don't use Netflix. I like having the box, I love watching the special features included on the dvd/bluray.

DarthAlexander

Ideally the best way to see a movie is on the big screen in a theater. I love it (just don't go opening weekends or Friday nights unless you love annoying people all around you).

If I can't do that then I just rent the BR and watch it at home. I have a big screen tv and sound system so it's almost like being in a theater to some degree. If I really enjoy the film I might buy it. The only thing I might download is an obscure movie or a season of a tv show (because I'm patient for it's release in a set).

Konshentz

Konshentz
Depends on the movie. If it's big and loud, I prefer the theater. Anything else, and I'll take a Blu-ray on my TV. And if I'm traveling, the laptop will have to do.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
I've stopped downloading a long time ago, but I have bought movies I've downloaded that I liked when it was discounted on DVD.

I used to buy a lot of DvD's from the movie rental place when they were considered "old". Now I usually pick up a movie I really want when it comes out, and look around for other movies at 9-14$.

Wal-Mart had a boxing day sale on, some DvD/Blue-Ray were down to $2.49. Picked up about 15 movies before Christmas out of the $5 bin. Got the original Kick-Ass out of it :)

TORHABSFAN

The Drive In is the way to go for me.

I freaking love it. I am in the comfort of my own car. I can put the volume as loud as I want or as quite as I want. I don't have to worry about people talking, but at the same time If the wife and I want to talk we can. I can sneak in food and drinks and save some bucks. The screens are huge. the Picture is great at drive In who have updated their equipment. Nobody sitting beside me other then my wife.

best part I can see 2 some times 3 and on long weekends 4 movies for $15. Can't beat that.

I hate theaters I don't know why Drive Ins are not more popular. If you haven't tried it you are missing out.

Dedman

Registered Member
TORHABSFAN said:

I freaking love it. I am in the comfort of my own car. I can put the volume as loud as I want or as quite as I want. I don't have to worry about people talking, but at the same time If the wife and I want to talk we can. I can sneak in food and drinks and save some bucks. The screens are huge. the Picture is great at drive In who have updated their equipment. Nobody sitting beside me other then my wife.

best part I can see 2 some times 3 and on long weekends 4 movies for $15. Can't beat that.

I hate theaters I don't know why Drive Ins are not more popular. If you haven't tried it you are missing out.
Always felt like drive-ins are a great experience but we don't have any in the Middle East. When I visit the US, I should make it a point to try and go to one.

TORHABSFAN

Dedman said:
TORHABSFAN said:

Always felt like drive-ins are a great experience but we don't have any in the Middle East. When I visit the US, I should make it a point to try and go to one.
wow you are in the middle east? what county exactly. I kinda asumed this board was filled with only North Americians.

Dedman

Registered Member
For me, I always prefer to watch movies on the big screen. Also have to see it in the best form it comes out in. If it was shot in 3D, I have to see the 3D version. If it's shot in IMAX, I drive from Abu Dhabi to Dubai to see it in IMAX (when I really think the movie is worth it, though). I wait for the discounted DVD's then I buy them if I feel I have to have the movie in my collection. If I really love the movie, I buy it once it hits the stands. I pretty much download all movies but almost never get to see them that way; most movies I miss in the theatres, I wind up watching when they come n TV. I will have to download and watch Wolf on Wall Street again, though, since about 40 min was cut from the theatrical release here.

Dedman

Registered Member
TORHABSFAN said:
Dedman said:
TORHABSFAN said:

wow you are in the middle east? what county exactly. I kinda asumed this board was filled with only North Americians.
I'm an Egyptian living in the UAE. I do believe I am the only non-North American on this board :D