Your Partner Convicted

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by Boredie, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Spin off from the Date a ex- Con thread.

If your partner was found guilty of committing a crime and were sent to jail, would you be supportive of them throughout their time spent in jail or would you give up the relationship at any given point.

There are so many examples I could give (type of crime, length of sentence, visiting rights, etc), but basically will you always be committed to your partner or nor?

2. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

It depends on the crime and on the time they'd pass there.
    But given that he committed a crime, I wouldn't want to be with him anymore ... let alone to wait for him when he gets back.
    So probably, I wouldn't wait for him because I wouldn't want him anymore.

3. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

hmmm, That would alllllllll depend on the crime and if I knew about it beforehand.

If it was self-defense then I'd support him 110% and stand by him and our commitment, no question about it.

4. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

As what has been said, it comes down to the crime and the situation, also the people involved.

5. Boredie

Ok, I see I need to elaborate on the situation in order to get the responses I need.

For what type of crimes would you wait around for your partner?
    What type wouldn't you wait around.

If your partner proclaims that they are innocent, do you believe them? Would that make a difference in your waiting for them. Let's assume they've been convicted for murder, but they didn't commit it, would you wait for them 20 odd years or not?

6. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Again, I wouldn't wait for any type of crime, BUT if they are innocent and they prove it, there would be no need to be convicted. If it were a trap, I'd try to find it out.
    A crime is a penal act I wouldn't tolerate, no matter what it is.

If it's a transgression act then this is something else. ... I think i'd wait because doing such acts is not a crime.

And how do I know he didn't commit the crime but he still gets to go to jail for 20 years?
    If I knew it, I'd find a way to prove it [or he'd find a way to prove it]and wouldn't have to stay in jail for 20 years or better ...wouldn't go to jail at all.
    So the second question doesn't make much point.

If they said they were innocent, they'd still try to prove it.
    I don't think I would believe him.

7. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I'm sure I'd visit him no matter what he did. If he murdered someone then I'd visit him just to talk to him.. Well, to have a go at him. I think I'd always love him. Obviously you can hate someone but I don't think you can just stop loving someone.

8. Boredie

If you've ever read the book "Prisoner of Birth" By Jeffrey Archer you might think differently that the second question isn't pointless as you might think.

9. Interested

Interested Registered Member

If, lets say, I knew he was a kleptomaniac and this was not proven and he has to spend some time in jail, then yes, I would wait.

If it was a murder, even a planned one, there are cases I would also wait for him. Lets say it was an act of revenge against someone who murdered/raped a family member. e.g. our child. It could explained as temporary insanity but not proven by a lawyer.

In case of a rape or any crime against a child... Well, I would probably turn him in by myself if I was the first one to find out.

In case of a bank robery... I would probably also wait. Some of these happen because of desparation and a wish to provide a better life for a family. If it was some gang he got involved in that planned it, then adios!

Well, basically I would wait in many cases, as long as it was not an evil or shallow act.
    ------
    That is a little bit naive. "The United States Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, admits that statistically 8% to 12% of all state prisoners are either actually or factually innocent".
    "In 2008, over 7.3 million people were on probation in jail or prison, or on parole at yearend — 3.2% of all U.S. adult residents or 1 in every 31 adults."
    Lets take the smaller percentage (8%). That is 584 000 wrongful convictions. According to this the number of U.S. adult residents is 228,125,000... 228,125,000/584,000. That means 1 in every ~391 in USA will be convicted wronfully. One in every 390 adult resident!!!

Sometimes there is simply no way to prove you are innocent. Now that DNA tests are so advanced, many convicted people managed to prove their innocence, even after 20/25 years spent in prison.

And when there is no advantage of DNA? It all became about lawyers and how well do they play their cards. That is why I say that law is one of the dirtiest games and does not have much to do with justice.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  10. calebdylan

calebdylan Registered Member

it depends on thje crime which my partner does but no one wishes to lead their life with a criminal...