• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Your Parents and Video Gaming

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
00vega said:
Oh and also, have you ever tried the Baseball Simulator series? Those games are awesome. BS 1.000 on the SNES was the shits!
I've never heard of that. The best baseball game I've ever played is probably Ken Griffey Jr Baseball on SNES. My friends and I used to play it all the time back in like 7th and 8th grade. The homerun derby was pretty sweet.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Oh my god... tell me you did not just use the words "best" and "Ken Griffey Jr." in the same sentence. That has to be one of the single WORST games on the system, maybe one spot above Shaq-Fu. Seriously, there is NO pitching in that game. The batter can hit from anywhere and nothing that the players do makes the slightest bit of difference. Its all circumstantial, no gameplay. I used to play it with friends too until we realized that it was just a big fake that was using Griffey's name to sell the game. The homerun derby might have been cool and the graphics were good, but gameplay was horrendous.

Sorry, but I had my expectations let down bigtime for that one.

You should try Baseball Simulator 1.000. Something tells me you would like it. Just rent it one day. You'll see. ;)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
What are you talking about? Ken Griffey Jr Baseball was awesome. The gameplay was great for back then and required as much skill as any other sports game. There really weren't any realistic sports games yet.

Wrecked

Registered Member
back in the day my parents used to play duck hunt with me. i think that was the only game they played.

now-a-days my dad is technology challenged. it took me a while to teach him how to use the dvd player [ switching the tv to video, using the remote for simple stuff ] among other things. but suprisingly he learned how to use a cell phone.

yooperchick

Registered Member
To my knowledge, my dad didn't play any more games other than Christmas Eve night when I was sleeping. I came downstairs and caught him and my brother playing the Nintendo that was my present the next morning.

My brother played it alot (he's 7 years older than me), and I remember watching him play Legend of Zelda all the time. He was so determined to beat that game. He never really got into Mario. But we would play Ice Hockey against each other, but he had a pretty good advantage since he was older than me.

My mom never really played anything other than Mario and only a very few times. I think she got tired of us making fun of her.

It's nice to hear that some of you have had some good times playing with your parents. I think it could be that my parents are quite a bit older than me. When I was 18, my parents were 50 and 53.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Wrecked said:
now-a-days my dad is technology challenged. it took me a while to teach him how to use the dvd player [ switching the tv to video, using the remote for simple stuff ] among other things. but suprisingly he learned how to use a cell phone.
Yeah, it's weird how that works. My dad has no trouble using a computer or his BlackBerry, yet whenever my parents want to watch a DVD, they have to ask me to put it in and get it started for them. I wonder if our generation is ever going to get like that with future technology.

Wrecked

Registered Member
Buckeye101 said:
I wonder if our generation is ever going to get like that with future technology.
yeah but who knows what we'll have in the future. if it were more Futurama/Jetson like, then yeah i bet our generation is going to be like that, cause programming robots and such sounds tough. but if there's not a major change in technology, i'm sure everyone would be able to handle that.

everyone in our generation was born w/the knowledge of technology, so i don't think our future would have a problem.

00vega said:
Why Starfox 64? Don't you think that that's something of a tough game for a non-gameplayer to get used to? I mean airplane controls... flying... persistant environmental movement..... in a fictitious setting.... I mean come on now..... training wheels man, training wheels....
Oh I tried to get her to play everything, including Mario 64, but she'd always say, "I'll just watch you." Somehow I managed to talk her into actually playing Star Fox, though. Maybe by that time she was just sick of my asking.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Anything in a 3d environment like that is likely to be disorienting. They could pick it up immediately, but at the very least you can expect it to be intimidating. Gotta keep that in mind.

Yeah, I didn't expect her to play well or anything, I just wanted her to play. I agree that Star Fox isn't the best game to get started with, but I had already tried to talk her into other games, like I said. For whatever reason though, she came around for Star Fox.