Your opinion please.

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by Skylar, May 14, 2008.

1. Skylar

Skylar Keepin' It Real

My son recently turned 9 and was evaluated by a neuro-psychologist.

His diagnosis is he has cognitive disorder NOS, Aspergers Syndrome and Disorder of written expression.

I've consulted with his doc and the school psychologist to get his next years IEP in order before the end of this one. He already gets pulled out for speech class.

I received a call from the State Board of Education today and after answering a series of questions, *and she had read the evaluation on him* she asked how I felt about moving him up to 5th or maybe 6th grade next year.

He is supposed to start 4th next year originally.

His IQ is superior, so academically he is doing Straight A+ honor roll.

His weaknesses are social interaction,reading social cues, focusing and of course, wandering. They do have behavioral help for him and will put it on his IEP, taking him out of class for this and speech.

I'm kinda torn here as what to do. I want the best for him but I don't want to stress him more then necessary.

Kids can be cruel and if he gets pushed ahead a few grades, I fear their reactions to him, on the other hand, I don't want him bored in class.:-/

MenInTights likes this.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Hmmm.. are there any summer school classes (1 or 2) that you can put him in at the higher levels to see how he does?

That might be a good indicator of how he would do for the main year and it would be easier to change grades before the school year started if you felt he'd be better off in 4th.

3. Skylar

Skylar Keepin' It Real

Academically, he can do the work, he is aceing everything right now. It's the reactions of the other kids I worry about. Maybe summer school would be a good indication.

He lacks in the socialization area, and wouldn't be able to pick up the cues of 'rejection' by his peers, but I'm afraid he might learn soon and if he does it would be devastating.

*I hope that makes sense*

4. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

First off, I don't believe in individual education plans.

My opinion is to leave him in his proper grade, but in as many honors courses as he can take. You have to let the kid be a kid. Work with him to further his social skills, maybe a therapist? If you push him now he may have problems socially for the rest of his life.

Find ways for him to further his intellect outside of school and in group settings.

MenInTights likes this.
  5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Does he like sports? Sports are always a good way to build social skills. There are a lot of summer sports programs too. Might be more fun for him than summer school and it would probably be better for his social skills.

Van likes this.
  6. Skylar

Skylar Keepin' It Real

Well, he has had Occupational therapy, Physical therapy and Speech therapy since kindergarten and now is only in speech. He has come a very long ways thanks to IEP's.

There are not many extra honor classes he can take in 4th, but I do see what you mean.
    We do work with him daily and whether in 4th or 6th, he will need a behavioral therapy to help him socialize.
    Thanks.

Yes, I agree and we are researching many different options available to us in that area.

7. 6footninja

6footninja Registered Member

It makes perfect sense, what you are saying. If it helps for me to connect with you, my sister is currently 18 and has down syndrome. She was put in special needs though, so she isn't as exposed to other kids as your son would be. (she will be in school until she is 22)

rejection, this isn't a very polarized thing. It happens everywhere, but in my specific case at the Schools I attended, the only time rejection was somewhat obvious would be the middle school years. Some of those kids are cruel, and you usually find one or two in the grades that are major "jerks" (forgiving the word I want to say). And you are worried about your son, who would be attending middle school (that's what they would consider it here, im not sure what it is where you live.) but it's all the same. There is a chance what you are fearing could happen. Rejection, but it wouldn't happen to come from groups of kids. It would most likely be one idiot who would do so. Still, if I were you, one would be enough.

I would let him attend the grades without skipping up. Be proud of his superior IQ, and give him as much as possible to suffice his hunger that comes from such a smart boy. Don't put him through that polarization he may, and sadly probably will feel from skipping up like that. Though, it wouldn't be a problem in older school years. (high school). He would deal with a lot of stressful social situations from jerks, and inconsiderate minds in these 6-8 grade years. It could hurt his feelings often. I can still remember seeing this happen back at my middle school. I regret not doing more to stop it.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
    Skylar likes this.
  8. Skylar

Skylar Keepin' It Real

Yes, he is interested in soccer. His earlier problems, which Occupational and Physical therapy has helped with, is a delayed reaction time. For example, if you threw a ball to him, by the time the signal was sent from his eyes to his brain, the ball would have already bounced off his chest. He has improved, not enough for 'baseball' let's say, but soccer should be ok.
    *crosses fingers*

I am looking into a team for him to join for the summer thru a local church nearby which I do think would help in his social skills.

He wants to join boy scouts but I won't let him. He wanders and easily becomes lost. Camping in the Smoky Mountains isn't going to happen.:shake:

9. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

If he already has trouble socializing, I can only imagine it being worse with older kids in his class then ones his age. Kids at this age need opportunites to interact with other kids and build confidence, if he's immediately labeled as "different" by the older kids, he may become an outcast and have trouble fitting in later as well. I probably wouldn't do it, but find other courses (as others have said) that he can use to explore his interests and keep him from getting bored.

If he's into art, put him in art classes, or sports, or if he likes science, do you have a Science center that might offer camps or classes he can take, things like that that will give him opportunities to further his intellectual interests as well as social.

My son is small for his age and probably will be his whole life, his birthday is Aug 17, and just due to that, I'm thinking of actually holding him back a year so he's a little bigger and the oldest in his class as opposed to the smallest and youngest, he is extremely smart though, so we'll have to see how things go over the next few years. Unfortunately in school, the social is as important as the education (as I'm sure you're aware or you wouldn't be asking this question).

Van and MenInTights like this.
  10. viLky

viLky ykLiv

WHAT! Don't let the worry about what other people think stop you from bettering your son! Yes, of course, if you can, have him go to a higher grade. It's such a wonderful opportunity.

I understand your concern for him becoming socially in-adept or even becoming a recluse with this change. You just got to understand that you have this wonderful opportunity that your child can take to better himself. Think of the future what it will look like on his college transcripts or resume. It's a fantastic achievement to skip a grade because you're smarter than the average person. Excellent!

Van likes this.