Your Name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oxyMORON, Jun 5, 2007.

1. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I guess there are two parts to this thread:

Do any of you guys resent your name? (your real ones) Is it too strange, too simple?

Why do foreign parents name their kids foreign names? ex: To-Diem, Yu Kim Sung, Cheng-Xiao, etc. etc.

I know several people who have Chinese names that really don't like it because they always get it butchered and they end up being called Jessica or something totally random. Everytime their names are called, the teachers have to be corrected and told what they go by. I just couldn't imagine having to do that for the rest of my life.

I don't have an Asian name, and I'm glad I don't. Luckily, my parents were sane enough to give me a "normal" name. Same with my middle name. If people's first names weren't foreign, then chances are there middle names are. So aside from my last name, I have all "American" names that no one could butcher.

2. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

No not at all. I like my name , Except for the fact that almost no other names go with the name "Bishop". I don't know , To me not many names make sense with that.

3. WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf Guest

I don't like my name at all not because it's too simple or anything but because I'm named after a frickin' horror moive!! My name's Carrie White just like the girl from the movie Carrie. I have the same middle name as her too!! It freakin' sucks!! I get picked on because of it all the time!

4. andrew_bishop

I hate names that are way to common among people. It drives me crazy. Like John , Or in my province Harold or Michael.

5. Kyo_Muramasa

Kyo_Muramasa Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n

I like my name, it's just the fact that people can't pronounce it is what irks me. There is like...7 different pronounciations of my name out there I think, there could be more but I haven't heard them yet. So instead, people call me by nicknames they have made up for me or short versions of my name like Shawn and such. But I like my name all the same because it's unquie^^

6. andrew_bishop

What is your name Kyo?

7. Kyo_Muramasa

Kyo_Muramasa Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n

I'll tell ya in a PM if ya like. I don't like telling my name openly, I'm just that paranoid:wacko:

8. andrew_bishop

lol , Yeah PM me. I won't tell.

9. Hikaru_Youkai

Hikaru_Youkai Registered Member

My first name is pretty normal, but people tend to butcher it with "Dennis". My middle name is normal too, but it's just so painfully British that people usually look at me with a "Wtf" expression upon knowing it.

Most people that I know who have foreign English names have corresponding names in their language. Like... If they have a name in Chinese, it would be something literally translated to English, like "Lee Bai".

10. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

I'm relatively happy with my name. First name is Andy, which I like. Not too rare, not too common.

My last name is kinda annoying in that it is constantly mispronounced as "Mullet" and "Mallet." Other than that, I'm pretty happy. Not to mention my initials are 'ATM' which is kinda cool.