Your kind of warrior

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Coldendurance, May 23, 2009.

1. Coldendurance

Coldendurance Registered Member

So I've been watching the Warrior show lately, where they compare historic warriors and see how they would match up on in a fight using computer analysis. They get so in-depth, with all the flash videos, weapons, etc. It makes me wonder, "what kind of warrior would I want to be if I had the chance!?". If I could go back in time and start life out fresh in any society of my choosing, I'd have to go with the Roman gladiator, or the Scottish Highlanders. None of this daily "precision" shit or boring lifestyle. They lived it up and fought it up, and ate good too. And I love my food. :)

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I've also been intrigued by Medievel knights myself. I could definitely see myself weilding a battle ax on a battlefield no bigger than a football arena. And I agree, I remember watching the movie "Jarhead" and one of the comments they made was:

"In World War II it would take Weeks maybe months to move a kilometer, in Korea & Vietnam it would take Hours.... Our war (Desert Storm) it takes 10 seconds. We're breaking our backs digging these foxholes and when we're done the fight is going to be gone, done, finished before we ever even look up."

I do agree that that is a great point. Although I'm sure it still exists on some fronts, the age of Military standoffs and stalemates most likely doesnt exist anymore. And I dont see the Pride in that to be honest.

3. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

I had never heard of this program so done a little digging, I have not seen a full episode but have clips of some of the fights and looks pretty interesting.

As for what kind of warroir I would choose I am torn between two from different ands of the spectrum.
    The Samurai, a fantastic warrior when needed, but not sure I could handle all the pomp and tradition that went with it.

The celtic warrior, those guys loved a good fight and the last thing on there mind was tradition.

4. WesJones87

WesJones87 RayzorBlade87

I'd have to go with either Knight or Viking on this one. Huge hammers and Swords? Yes please! :)

5. SubZero

SubZero Registered Member

Roman Gladiator or Samurai are the most fascinating for me

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Medieval knights and the Spartans interest me the most.

7. Blaze

Blaze Registered Member

I reckon I'd be one of King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table.

8. Auron

Auron New Member

The Samurai, but I don't think I would have the kind of disapline needed so I'll have to go for an ancient Celt, brutal and naked lol

9. Susano

Susano Registered Member

Warriors suck. Leave the fighting to soldiers. And yes, there are some differences - warriors fight "alone" (or thats the ideal at least, ignoring the peasant levies normally also involved) and are all about "honour". Soldiers fight in formations and are all about discipline and tactics.

10. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

Spartans fought in formations and Indian tribes fought in groups; both were considered warriors.

Deadliest Warrior is a fantastic show and that guy from 300 narrates! I'd like to be a Shaoiln Monk; their discipline is amazing and they have such interesting weapons - the hooked swords has to be the best.