• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Your GF Friendships

Bliss

Sally Twit
Have you made friends here at GF that you hope you remain friends with for the rest of your life, or do you not really consider them as true friendships?

I know that some people here like to throw around the term 'real life' a lot, where as others actually speak to people here just as much as people they see regularly and don't feel that friends from GF are not 'real'.

I've made quite a few long lasting friendships here and some of the members mean just as much to me as people I spend time with. I have a handful of people that I know I can trust and can go to them with things I wouldn't necessarily tell a lot of people.
There are people here I hope I can meet up with in future, if only just to give them a hug!

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I call some of them GF friends but not just friends like any other friend I have outside this forum.
I can't say I have real friends here, but there are people I enjoy talking to and their presence makes me smile.
There are a few I've known here (who don't log in that often) but I talk to them in private and never met them in real life. I've gotten more personal with them.

I don't have GF friends I can talk to about anything but this place in general makes me talk about things I can't talk outside, in real life.

Just like you, there are people I wish I could meet outside of here.

I call it 'luxury' to have real friends and people you can trust, in here.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I like internet friends more than real life friends because unlike the latter, circumstances don't play a role and you get to see the real nature of a person.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
you get to see the real nature of a person.
Not really. I wouldn't agree with this.
I don't think you see the real nature of a person unless you meet them in person and socialize with them.
A forum is just a forum and not everyone will show their true self. Some come here just for fun, some act nice and some act bitchy because we all know nothing happens, however we may be.
Some act like someone they are not .

It really depends on the person and the reason why they're here.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'm fortunate to have met eight GF members in RL and the way I have enjoyed their company online, I also did in real life and could imagine hanging out with them more if we lived closer.

There are other people here who I talk to regularly (and have more substantial conversations outside of GF stuff) and would like to keep in touch even if GF disappeared somehow.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Absolutely. I know that I will remain friends with some of you for a long long time. My close friends here are the ones I talk to when I have something going on that I need to talk about.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I don't think you see the real nature of a person unless you meet them in person and socialize with them.
It varies from person to person, but on the internet, there's no need to be falsely nice.
A forum is just a forum and not everyone will show their true self.
I show my true self only on the internet. In real life, I'm a nice person who talks softly to others. On the internet, I don't hold my words back, and I express my true self.
Some come here just for fun, some act nice and some act bitchy because we all know nothing happens, however we may be.
Exactly. Online disinhibition effect.
Some act like someone they are not. It really depends on the person and the reason why they're here.
Yes, this makes your point so I guess neither of us can guess a person's character on the internet.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I've got a lot of friends that I've made here that I hope to remain in touch with for the rest of my life; I'm in close-ish touch with a few already via texting or instant messaging.

While I consider mostly everyone around here a true friend (forum or RL doesn't really matter in that department), there are some with which I've made closer bonds.

Impact

V.I.P.
I hope to be in contact with all the people here that I talk to on a regular basis outside of GF in the future. I consider some of you to be my best friends, and I share almost everything with them. There are only a couple people who I can't contact outside of GF that I would want to. I need to remedy that.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Have you made friends here at GF that you hope you remain friends with for the rest of your life
Oh, very definitely. That's what it's about with my friends Emma and Laura, whom I e-met in a for(u)mer life. If we ever lost touch (again), I'd always miss them both. When I say that I love you, to borrow a phrase, I mean that I love you forever.

There are people here I hope I can meet up with in future, if only just to give them a hug!
Amen, sister. Just you wait. :)