• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Your connection speed.

JohnR

Registered Member
When you are talking about 30k down, are you talking about 30 kilobits or 30 kilobytes?
Kilobytes. I figured the problem though. It really was no problem, just me. I got confused between 'bits and 'bytes.

trick_r_treat

I am on DSL, too. I thought about getting cable but then I would have to change my routers and adapters for my other computers, because cable is not compatible with DSL routers, so I just said forget it.

Reverend

Registered Member
I have had DSL, Cable, and a full T1. The T1 is the hands down winner for reliability. It is a very solid, pretty much guaranteed 1.5 Mbit/s connection.

Bit cable CAN be a lot faster. I have cable currently, and I get about 2.5 Mbit/s on it on average.

I kind of miss the old days of cable, though. In the early days, they didn't limit the speeds, and most cable companies dedicate the equivalent of 3 TV channels to the downstream of their IP connections. That relates to about 30 Mbit/s. With 1 channel (10 Mbit/s) upstream. Back before they started limiting it, you could get that kind of connection if you were an early adopter, because cable is a shared-bandwidth. But if you're the only customer, you got it all!

The main thing to remember is that the internet is a chain (or a "series of pipes") :rolleyes: There may be 20-30 "hops" between you and the server that you're getting data from. The connection is only as fast as the SLOWEST connection between those 30 hops!

Pete

jzan

I might be changing to 24000kbs soon. What is the current deal on them, or do you know any good sites on them?