• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Your computer? (survey)

dDave

V.I.P.
I thought this would be an interesting discussion. (I think we had a discussion similar to this years ago) I'll start it off with a few basic questions. Answer any and all that you can.

1. What make is your computer? (ie, Apple, HP, Dell, etc.)

2. Desktop or laptop?

3. What are specs? (CPU, RAM, OS, etc.)

4. Are you happy with it? (if not, what do you wish you had?)

5. How old is your computer?

---------------
1. My desktop is custom built. The graphics card and screens are ASUS. Other brands include intel, Western Digital, and Cooler Master.

My laptop is ASUS.

2. Both

3. You can reference the thread I made about my build for this. http://www.generalforum.com/computers/my-new-rig-gaming-computer-99543.html

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Gigabyte X79 UP4 LGA 2011 Motherboard
Intel i7 3930k (3.2GHz six-core) LGA 2011 Processor
32GB G. Skill Ares series @1866mhz (in quad-channel)
180GB Intel 520 SSD
500GB Extra HDD
800w Corsair Gaming PSU
Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition Case
Triple ASUS 24" HD Displays (in 5760x1080 resolution)
ASUS Radeon 7970 HD GHz 384-bit 3GB graphics card
Logitech 5.1 Surround
4. Quite happy. No complaints whatsoever. The graphics card in my tower does have a ridiculous coil whine problem, have been considering sending it back under warranty for a while. Might replace it with an nVidia card.

5. Desktop was built in November, I got my laptop in 2010 and still love it.

What about the rest of you guys? :)

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.

HP.

2. Desktop or laptop?
Desktop.

CPU: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.4GHz
RAM: 8GB
HD: 700GB
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX550Ti

Sure. Does everything I need it to. It's beginning to show its age but I'll be upgrading soon.

Eh. I think it's 6? I've had it for a fair bit but I've upgraded the power supply and graphics card so it's stayed fairly current.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Built my own in a Rosewill case.

2. Desktop or laptop?
Desktop

8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 1600, 2.93 first generation Intel Core i7, 2GB GeForce 550ti (fermi). Runs like a champ.

I have a motherboard out of an older build and a socket type that isn't supported much anymore. I'd love to get a better motherboard but it looks like I'm going to have to get a new mobo and processor when it comes time to upgrade. I'll probably just use the parts for this one as a second computer as I upgrade. I would also love a SSD but I'm waiting for the price of the larger ones to come down first.

The motherboard and processor are coming up on three years. Case and video care are about a year. Other parts range between that.

wooly

I am the woolrus
I used ot have a Macbook until it was stolen, so I now have a Toshiba satellite laptop. It's actually a ridiculously good piece of kit or the price I got it for though. It was already on sale but I got it even cheaper and extra RAM added simply because I lied about the price I could get it from a competitor and they never checked :p

i5 3210M
8 GB RAM
500BG HDD
Intel HD 4000 iGPU

Really, the only downside is the GPU but in fairness, as far as integrated graphics go, the 4000 is WAY above the previous Intel HD chips I've used in the past. It's actually pretty decent.

I am trying to save for a gaming desktop though, but it's difficult as I'm in a half voluntary job right now and I'm saving for the masters.

With the desktop I'm probably just going to go with Core i5, don't know if I'll be able to spend the extra cash to get an unlockable CPU but to be honest, overclocking isn't a major priority anyway. With a decent graphics card, most i5 CPUs will be fine for gaming for a few years. As for the graphics card I'm probably going to go for the 7850 but I'd like to stretch to either a 7870 or a GTX660. Unlikely though. Probably going for a basic enough B75 mobo, as again I have no plans to overclock so I'm best off saving as much as I can on non GPU parts!

Last edited:

Impact

V.I.P.

HP

2. Desktop or laptop?

Laptop. Although I want to build a desktop.

Intel Core i7-3610QM
16GB ram
Nvidia GeForce GT 635M
1TB hard drive

and a funky finger print reader that I use for my password :D

Yes, i'm happy with it. I'll be even happier when I get a second screen to hook up to it. I didn't want a desktop at the time, and i'm glad I stuck with a laptop because I like the portability...although a 17" screen doesn't make it very portable.

It is about 4 months old.

Last edited:

Xeilo

V.I.P.

2. Desktop or laptop?

1. I have a laptop which is HP and its a piece of shit that I got a few years ago so lets not talk about that. My new computer is a custom build.

2. Desktop

3. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Asus Rampage IV Formula /X79/4 blah blah blah
Intel i7 3970k (3.5GHz six-core) LGA2011 Processor
G.Skill 16GB DDR3-2400 Duel Channel
Samsung 512GB SSD 840BW Pro SATA3 x 2 (Raid Setup)
Seagate SATA3 3TB 7200RPM Barracuda 64mb Cache
Thermaltake Tough Power 1500W 80+ Silver PSU
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
Cooler Master COSMOS II Ultra Tower
4 Way SLI - Gigabyte GTX780 3G GDDR5
Pioneer 12X Blu-Ray Writer

Currently have 2 average 24" HP 60hz screens but will soon be upgrading to 2 120hz screens, not sure what yet tho.

4. Yes so far its running really well and I can't see it becoming slow for awhile.

5. I have had this system for about 1 week now.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.

I have one Custom built PC desktop of no particular make and an Apple Macbook Pro.

2. Desktop or laptop?

One of each

I'll update this later. Can't be bothered finding them right now, but my desktop is a beasty machine designed for computer animation purposes.

I love my PC desktop, but while my Macbook is useful sometimes I just don't like it nearly as much. Compared to a good, well-made PC I think Macs are terrible.

I've had the Macbook one and a half years and the PC only a few months. I got it upgraded for my Uni work.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.

My desktop machine is an Acer - I know they have a bad rep but I have been happy with mine
My laptop is a Toshiba

2. Desktop or laptop?

One of each

I can't remember the exact specs, this what I can remember:

PC:

Windows 7 Home Addition
AMD Quad Core 6400
4 GB of ram
NVidia graphics card but I can't remember the spec of it

Laptop:

Windows 8 Home Addition
Intel 3
4 GB of ram
No idea about the graphics card

I would like a new PC more inclined for gaming but as I a Xbox360 and a PS3 I see no point, the only think I would like I guess is more HDD Space and more Ram for photo and video editing

My laptop does me, yes I would like a Mac Book but only to have one, other my laptop is perfectly usable

My PC is nearly 5 years old and my laptop is about 2 years old

lovely001

Registered Member
My computer is acer's laptop, i3 2.2ghz, yes m happy with it, it is just 1 year old , its battery backup is fine, this is my past time and lovely gadget.

Last edited by a moderator:

dDave

V.I.P.
1. I have a laptop which is HP and its a piece of shit that I got a few years ago so lets not talk about that. My new computer is a custom build.

2. Desktop

3. Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Asus Rampage IV Formula /X79/4 blah blah blah
Intel i7 3970k (3.5GHz six-core) LGA2011 Processor
G.Skill 16GB DDR3-2400 Duel Channel
Samsung 512GB SSD 840BW Pro SATA3 x 2 (Raid Setup)
Seagate SATA3 3TB 7200RPM Barracuda 64mb Cache
Thermaltake Tough Power 1500W 80+ Silver PSU
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
Cooler Master COSMOS II Ultra Tower
4 Way SLI - Gigabyte GTX780 3G GDDR5
Pioneer 12X Blu-Ray Writer

Currently have 2 average 24" HP 60hz screens but will soon be upgrading to 2 120hz screens, not sure what yet tho.

4. Yes so far its running really well and I can't see it becoming slow for awhile.

5. I have had this system for about 1 week now.
:shocked:

I think you've got me beat. (I don't meet many people that do that)

You're actually running 4 way SLI? It's not at all shocking that you need 1500W to run it :lol: I imagine that your computer feels like a space heater with 4 graphics cards.

When I built mine I considered going for the Rampage IV, only thing is that the reviews seemed to say that it wasn't the most reliable board in the world. I love the board that I have though, it's sturdy, has plenty of room for expansion, and honestly it doesn't lack one single feature that I'd actually want to use.

You should consider upgrading to 3 screens. Few things are better than triple screen gaming. :)

How much did you spend for that beast?