• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Your Bicycle Repairs...

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
When my bike breaks, I fix it myself. For the most part, its all easy. Changing a flat, changing a rim, changing the rubber. Fixing the breaks, replacing an axle, the pedals, gear shifter etc etc. I've had to those kinds of things on my bike since I was a kid. We never had money to pay a shop for that, so I always had to make do, scavenging parts from scrap bikes.

So because of that, I do all my own repairs to my bike today. The nice thing is though, I don't scavenge my parts anymore, I buy new ones.

How about yourselves? When your bike needs maintenance or repairs, do you do it yourself? Maybe you have a friend who helps you out, or do you just take it to a bike shop? Let us know!

dDave

V.I.P.
My bike has had several issues such as a puncture in a tire, bending the brake disc (blame Mirage for that :lol:), and a chain link snapping off.

I do all of my own repairs on my bike. I don't ride it all that often but when I do I always have to do all of the maintenance all at once. I also don't like the idea of paying someone for something I could easily do myself. I've got a nice IBEX mountain bike with an adjustable suspension, 21 gears, and very nice disc brakes.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
My bike has had several issues such as a puncture in a tire, bending the brake disc (blame Mirage for that :lol:), and a chain link snapping off.

I do all of my own repairs on my bike. I don't ride it all that often but when I do I always have to do all of the maintenance all at once. I also don't like the idea of paying someone for something I could easily do myself. I've got a nice IBEX mountain bike with an adjustable suspension, 21 gears, and very nice disc brakes.
Last year I bought a nice bike from a pawn shop. Had disc breaks just on the front tire. Normally I'm iffy about using my front breaks, but I loved it. It slowed down so nice, I didn't have to worry about flipping. Sucks though I ended up messing up that rim. Some car jutted out in front of me when I was like a block from my place. I wasn't going fast so I hit the break. I was so close though, I had to turn a bit to not hit the side. Ended up turning my tire totally perpendicular and since I had some momentum, and i'm 250lbs, I ended up bending my rim right in half. As well as the brake disc. So I had to put my spare rim on the front. I've had only rear breaks since then since I need to put aside some cash to replace the rim. One of the few things i can't fix myself lol.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
How about yourselves? When your bike needs maintenance or repairs, do you do it yourself? Maybe you have a friend who helps you out, or do you just take it to a bike shop? Let us know!
When I have a bike I love doing my own maintenance. You can even carry a small tool pouch on the bike with extra brake pads, patch kits, and so on just to make sure you're covered if you rely on your bike. The hardest thing I've found about working on a bike is replacing the full pedal assembly. The bearings and parts in there take a long time to fix and I've been unable to repair them on more than one occasion.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
When I have a bike I love doing my own maintenance. You can even carry a small tool pouch on the bike with extra brake pads, patch kits, and so on just to make sure you're covered if you rely on your bike. The hardest thing I've found about working on a bike is replacing the full pedal assembly. The bearings and parts in there take a long time to fix and I've been unable to repair them on more than one occasion.
I always bike with my backpack full of tools and spare parts. There were too many times as a teen where my bike would break while biking to my friends house. It was generally a 20 mile bike ride, so having to walk to the nearest house to borrow a phone could sometimes take awhile in the hot sun. Ever since I started carrying tools on me, it doesn't break down lol.

Bearings are the bane of my existence as far as repairs go lol. I was always losing them and then not having enough for my tire or pedals to work properly. So what I ended up doing, was finding some junk bikes, and I just took all the bearings out of them, and so now I have extra bearings at home, for when I need them.