Young sailor starts world voyage

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by DinoFlintstone, Nov 15, 2008.

1. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

Personally, I'd never let my Child do something so dangerous, and really, at 16, that is what he is 'a Child.'

EDIT:
    I was going to add a Poll to this, but their was an error on the page.

Who do you think is more crazy?
    1. The Boy?
    2. The Parents?
    3. Both?
    4. Neither?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008

2. Wednesday

Wednesday Registered Member

Hes only 16?? jeeez..normal behavior??

Id say his parents where crazy..after all at the age of 16 you still have raging hormones..you cant make huge decisions like this??

3. DinoFlintstone

It's like trusting your only Child to sleep rough with some wild Lions for a year.

4. Wednesday

Yer, cross ya fingers and hope for the best:rolleyes:

What goes on in peoples minds??

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I don't know the other qualities of the child and his experience in sailing. But just the fact that he's doing it at age 16 isn't a crazy idea to me (maybe because I know that some of us start allowing some 16yo to handle mature responsibilities anyway). Sure, it's scary but like the parent said, whether your child is 25 or 30, you'd be worried. Anyway, if I think my child is ready to do it (conditions not soley based on biological age), I'd let him go. :nod:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

They said he was introduced to it at 7, so what if he's been sailing for 9 years?

@Wednesday: Raging hormones? Are you afraid he's going to try and copulate with the ocean or something? Who says he can't make a decision like this or try something like this? I ask because you're making some big generalizations there that may not be entirely fair.

@Dino: I understand your sentiment about why they would let their son do this, but comparing it to sleeping with lions is a bit silly and a bit of a stretch.

7. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

yeah i'm sure he has an instict for sailing by now, 'raging hormones' or not :p

I say if he's mentally ready to do it, let him do it! Sure i'd be worried if he was my kid. I mean he's already the youngest person to do the atlantic, and i'm sure he'd never have achieved that if he's parents didn't give him a little freedom.

8. DinoFlintstone

Have you ever sailed in the North Atlantic? In a storm, a single monster wave could swallow a ship whole, for it never to be seen again.
    The boy will only get 20 minutes of sleep at a time. Fatigue at sea can be lethal. If he needs to get in the water and make emergency repairs, he could be killed by a fish or mammal.
    Their 'will' be times where he'd be better off being in the Serengeti where wild cats roam.
    What is silly is your over use of the word 'silly' and 'idiot' to try and put people down over something you are guessing at.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Dude, chill out and trust me, if I wanted to put you down, I'd have done it much better than that. The fact that you aren't screaming and yelling at the mods is a sign that I haven't tried hard enough. Besides, I don't really want to because I do agree with you to an extent, but I also believe that at 16 you're not a "child" but a young man/woman.

It's true that most teenagers are barely ready for the challenges that high school throws them, but that doesn't mean all of them are inept and incapable of doing something like this.

Swiftstrike likes this.
  10. Wednesday

Hey..hormones can effect your thinking abilities...didnt you know that?? or are you still going through them??

DinoFlintstone likes this.