Young sailor starts world voyage

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"

A teenage student attempting to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world has admitted he is "a little crazy" to do it at his age.
Michael Perham, 16, from Potters Bar in Hertfordshire is the youngest person to have sailed across the Atlantic alone.
He set out on his latest voyage from Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth, on his Open 50 Racing Yacht on Saturday morning.
He will be alone at sea for over four months and his only contact with family will be through satellite link-ups.
Michael said: "I'm a little bit nervous but otherwise really, really excited.
"It's just the feeling of being completely in control, relaxed and at one with nature. It's just fantastic. But you don't look forward to the fact you are alone for about four months."
Please turn on JavaScript. Media requires JavaScript to play.
A look around Mike Perham's boat
Psychologists have helped prepare him mentally for the challenges ahead and he said his experience crossing the Atlantic would also stand him in good stead.
His mother, Heather, said the family was right behind him: "We're all really excited, we're so proud of what he's going to be doing.
"He's just such an inspiration for other young people - for anyone really - we're just amazed we've got to this point."
His family have also put a pile of gifts and decorations on board his yacht for Christmas.
By then he is expected to be in the South Atlantic, near the Cape of Good Hope off the coast of South Africa.
His parents, Heather, 51, and Peter, 49, and 18-year-old sister Fiona all support him.
Mr Perham, a chartered quantity surveyor and experienced sailor, introduced his son to sailing at the age of seven.
"As a parent there is always anxiety, even he has anxiety. "But whether he is 16, 26 or 36, as a parent you are always concerned for your children," said Mr Perham.

I couldn't have done what he is doing at his age
Peter Perham, Michael's father

"But it will be an amazing achievement. I take my hat off to him completely. I couldn't have done what he is doing at his age.
"Hopefully he will inspire other young people."
He is expected to arrive back in Portsmouth some time near his 17th birthday on 16 March 2009.
The current holder of the youngest non-stop circumnavigator title is 18-year-old Australian, Jesse Martin, who arrived home in Melbourne on October 31, 1999.
To set a new record, Michael's journey must be entirely unassisted and completed under sail by wind and muscle power alone.
His journey will pass the coast of Africa, cross the Pacific Ocean and the Southern Ocean via the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa, Cape Leeuwin in Australia and Cape Horn on the southern tip of South America.
His adventure does not get him out of school work either.
He is taking assignments with him as part of his BTEC National Diploma in Sport (Performance and Excellence) at Oaklands College in St Albans, Hertfordshire. Money raised from the epic voyage will be donated to Save the Children and the Tall Ships Youth Trust.
Personally, I'd never let my Child do something so dangerous, and really, at 16, that is what he is 'a Child.'

EDIT:
I was going to add a Poll to this, but their was an error on the page.

Who do you think is more crazy?
  1. The Boy?
  2. The Parents?
  3. Both?
  4. Neither?

Last edited:

Wednesday

Registered Member
Hes only 16?? jeeez..normal behavior??

Id say his parents where crazy..after all at the age of 16 you still have raging hormones..you cant make huge decisions like this??

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I don't know the other qualities of the child and his experience in sailing. But just the fact that he's doing it at age 16 isn't a crazy idea to me (maybe because I know that some of us start allowing some 16yo to handle mature responsibilities anyway). Sure, it's scary but like the parent said, whether your child is 25 or 30, you'd be worried. Anyway, if I think my child is ready to do it (conditions not soley based on biological age), I'd let him go. :nod:

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
They said he was introduced to it at 7, so what if he's been sailing for 9 years?

@Wednesday: Raging hormones? Are you afraid he's going to try and copulate with the ocean or something? Who says he can't make a decision like this or try something like this? I ask because you're making some big generalizations there that may not be entirely fair.

@Dino: I understand your sentiment about why they would let their son do this, but comparing it to sleeping with lions is a bit silly and a bit of a stretch.

wooly

I am the woolrus
yeah i'm sure he has an instict for sailing by now, 'raging hormones' or not :p

I say if he's mentally ready to do it, let him do it! Sure i'd be worried if he was my kid. I mean he's already the youngest person to do the atlantic, and i'm sure he'd never have achieved that if he's parents didn't give him a little freedom.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
@Dino: I understand your sentiment about why they would let their son do this, but comparing it to sleeping with lions is a bit silly and a bit of a stretch.
Have you ever sailed in the North Atlantic? In a storm, a single monster wave could swallow a ship whole, for it never to be seen again.
The boy will only get 20 minutes of sleep at a time. Fatigue at sea can be lethal. If he needs to get in the water and make emergency repairs, he could be killed by a fish or mammal.
Their 'will' be times where he'd be better off being in the Serengeti where wild cats roam.
What is silly is your over use of the word 'silly' and 'idiot' to try and put people down over something you are guessing at.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Dude, chill out and trust me, if I wanted to put you down, I'd have done it much better than that. The fact that you aren't screaming and yelling at the mods is a sign that I haven't tried hard enough. Besides, I don't really want to because I do agree with you to an extent, but I also believe that at 16 you're not a "child" but a young man/woman.

It's true that most teenagers are barely ready for the challenges that high school throws them, but that doesn't mean all of them are inept and incapable of doing something like this.

Wednesday

Registered Member
They said he was introduced to it at 7, so what if he's been sailing for 9 years?

@Wednesday: Raging hormones? Are you afraid he's going to try and copulate with the ocean or something? Who says he can't make a decision like this or try something like this? I ask because you're making some big generalizations there that may not be entirely fair.

Hey..hormones can effect your thinking abilities...didnt you know that?? or are you still going through them??