• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

You listen to what?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
What type of music do you listen to that would surprise people if they knew you liked it? This reaction can be based on your existing musical tastes or based on your personality and how you carry yourself.

For me, it's Jazz.Jazz is one of my favorite types of music and I find it relaxing and just plain cool/classy. I mean the classic Jazz such as Miles Davis - it can have lyrics or be instrumental. I just don't enjoy the modern elevator Jazz at all. I think people would be surprised that I listen to Jazz just because I'm more known for enjoying rock/alternative and hip-hop.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Hmmm. That's a tough one. I'm not sure if I listen to anything that would be considered surprising to any of you.

I guess seeing as I mainly listen to/post about rap... maybe things like Hank Williams Jr. or The Drifters would catch some of you off guard?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Classic soul / R&B / disco. Also sappy 70s love songs. Except for the Carpenters. I fuckin hate the Carpenters.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Mostly 80's music(since I'm a massive fan) and I also enjoy 90s pop like Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Hanson, Spice Girls, ect.

Yes, you may laugh, but it's fairly entertaining to me.

thealigator

Registered Member
I think most people would laugh at a play list I have on spotify that includes:

Sheryl Crow
Donna Lewis
Regina Sparks
Jewel
Vienna Tang

Whilst I have a very eclectic taste I mainly listen to Rock, Punk & Metal. I mainly listen to these artists just before I go to sleep as they relax me and help me get to sleep especially Vienna Tang and this track, it's just so beautiful and I love it:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Mostly 80's music(since I'm a massive fan) and I also enjoy 90s pop like Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Hanson, Spice Girls, ect.

Yes, you may laugh, but it's fairly entertaining to me.
It's funny you mention 80s music. I guess since I'm 33 and was a kid during the 80s a lot of people may be surprised at the variety of 80s music that I like. When it comes to that decade, I think I like the biggest variety. There are few genres that you can mention that don't have at least one song from them that I love.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
What type of music do you listen to that would surprise people if they knew you liked it? This reaction can be based on your existing musical tastes or based on your personality and how you carry yourself.
This is an interesting topic, mainly because unless you really know someone in personal life, it's hard to be surprised by anything really.

Me, I only listen to things that I use, have used, or might consider using for a video project. That is basically the only music I ever listen to ever, unless something happens to be on in whatever environment that I'm in that other people have control over, and even then, it takes a lot to get me judgmental in any way. The only thing that I have ever REALLY had a problem with is the rap and stupid crap (I don't know what else to call it) in an MMA gym I quit. But other than that, I listen to nearly everything, so it's hard to list what would be surprising.

However, it may be surprising to find that included in this collection of "things I ordinarily wouldn't listen to or care about unless in a video project" is the Shania Twain song "That Don't Impress Me Much"
, which I really like a whole lot, but not for the literal words of THAT song, but rather because I think there should be an alternate version of it where the MALE part sings that to/about a FEMALE (not the female about the male as in the song).

I honestly don't think that in the history of music there has ever been written a song about a male not being impressed by a female's attempts to "land him" in a relationship/family/relationship/whatever. I think that males simply accept whatever comes from a female, especially in the realm of money, sex, fame, whatever, and that because of that, no one actually cares about the often large moral cost that comes along with it, when it's gender reversed like that, in the rare case that that actually happens.

So in a nutshell, I like the song SIMPLY because of what the hypothetical "gender reversal" of that song would sound like, in my imagination. Only reason I like it. A whole lot.

EDIT:

Also, a recommendation:

Add some extra question marks and exclamation marks to this topic's title. Otherwise it looks like just another "What do you listen to?" type of topic. It's supposed to convey the element of shock, not an ordinary question.

Last edited:

Twitch

Registered Member
I've consistently been listening to all the new "indie" stuff that has been coming out, and I also love all forms of hip hop and rap. But it would probably surprise people just how much I enjoy a lot of pop music like Katy Perry and Selena Gomez, as well as older R&B like Gil Scott Heron, Al Green, and Marvin Gaye.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
Assuming one knows what I typically listen to - lots pf music from the 60s and 70s, and various classical eras - they'd find it pretty odd that I listen to Streetlight Manifesto and some Punk. It's all so uncharacteristic based on what I usually like.