You lazy bum, get a JOB

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by SenatorB, Jun 5, 2007.

1. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

I've tried a few things, and apparently I hate working. Or at least am unable to find the motivation to keep going to any job I get for more than a short while (I wish it were as easy as "suck it up and just do it") For obvious reasons (aka rent; food; utilities), this is quickly becoming a problem.

So a couple questions...

What do you suggest I do? I'd like to think that if I got a job that actually interested me--or perhaps one that was less interesting but at least highly paying--I'd be able to keep doing it.

Also, I'm thinking I may like to try and get into the field of webdesign. I dont know enough to put together anything really complicated (no php basically), but I do know enough to make a professional looking and still very functional website. I've discovered that there's a huge market for realtors wanting a site for each of the properties they're selling... and that's the sort of thing I could easy make (example of one that someone else made http://1thorndale.com/ ... I can make one that looks much much better than that, while having all the same functionality).
    The benefits of getting into this would be that I could do it on my own hours, it's actually kind of fun for me, and it pays ridiculously well (I could make one of these sites in probably 6-8 hours, and make anywhere from like $300-600).
    So the questions are basically... I dont know anything about actual webhosting, so what's a reliable host/domain name registration, that's also cheap enough to entice potential clients? I also dont know a whole lot about advertising, so how do you suggest I find clients? It wouldn't have to be limited to real estate services, but that may be an easy place to start.

Any help appreciated...

2. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I can only answer your first one. If you could do anything for the rest of your life what would you do (not having to worry about finances) then find a job in that field. I wish I followed my own advice when i went to college...I got a degree at something I was good at but not necessarily liked (did it for the money).

I cant help you much in the job field on web design. Sorry hopefully someone else knows alot about it here that can help you.

3. Corona

Corona Registered Member

4. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I do 2 paper routes in the morning totalling 3 and a half hours of work a day, I get paid $400-450 a week... yes I said one week.

Monthly icome of $1600 + Tips (maybe another $100)

Look around in your local town and find a newspaper company. They are always hiring, its not a bad job if you dont have a problem geting up in the morning.

I mean my work day consists of rolling into work when I feel like it (no schedule). Listening to my XM radio, drinking coffee, delivering papers, filling up racks, stoping at Hardees to bullshit with my friend, to get more coffee and to get a bite to eat. Finish delivering papers, then I fuck off the rest of the day. In most cases they aren't picky about times as long as you pick your papers up and dont wait til the last second.

Rinse and repeat.

5. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I want your job. GIVE IT TO ME!

6. Henskie

Henskie The Super Pimp of GF

I work at friendly's... I make Ice cream... not as fun as it sounds do not work at friendly's

7. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Some drawbacks are its 7 days a week, In order to have the papers out by a reasonable time so people don't complain I need to be up by 3am at the latest. Then the complaints from the same customers range from, missed papers, wet papers, I want my paper here or there blah blah blah... I dont have time to get out at every house, If I don't re-deliver I get charged 2 bucks a paper which is docked from my pay. People are idiots they don't step off their doorstep to look for their paper, so they call and say they didnt get it. I tell them to look harder, then they find it. Also stolen papers are a pain in my ass.

Over all the good outweighs the bad. If it weren't for the awesome pay and easy hours, i'd quit.