• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

You going to miss the Olympics?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was thinking the other day that we won't have any Winter Olympics this year. Yes I know it's every four years. Last year's Winter Olympics were so exciting and one of the best I've ever seen, and I'm sad that we won't have any this year.

Anyone else feels this way?

Dabs

Registered Member
Nope....I never watched any of the Olympics, so nothing different for me this year~

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I love watching the Olympics and I'm definitely looking forward to the next one, but I don't think it would be nearly as significant if they were on every year, so I'm glad they do it like they do.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm in total agreement Echoes, definitely wouldn't have the same impact if it was done every year, but I'm just sad that we won't be able to see them this year. Especially since the Winter Olympics this year were simply amazing and filled with great moments.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
To be honest... I've always preferred the Winter Olympics over the summer ones. But thats gotta be predominately because I'm a hockey fan and not a Track & Field fan.

the Every 4 years thing is one of those double edged swords to me. On one hand I absolutely love the fact that we have to wait for it... 4 years... but then on the other I wish we had it every year.

All in all, I am glad we have to wait though. Otherwise it would just turn into a garbage hunk o' junk games like the NHL's "winter classic". Had every opportunity to be special but instead it got over marketed and turned into nothign more than a sales gimmick.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Dumb question....are the summer and winter olympics the same year? Or do they space them out every 2? Because that would be cool if they did.

I'm not much on watching the olympics, but I have watched them before when nothing else was on. I did enjoy curling.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
yeah, its every 2 years there is a different Olympics

2012 = Summer Olympics (London)

2010 = Winter Olympics (Vancouver)

2008 = Summer Olympics (Beijing)

2006 = Winter Olympics (Torino)

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Like Goat I prefer the Winter Olympics over the Summer Olympics. I also agree the wait is a double edged sword but I prefer it every 4 years as opposed to say every year.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
yeah, its every 2 years there is a different Olympics

2012 = Summer Olympics (London)

2010 = Winter Olympics (Vancouver)

2008 = Summer Olympics (Beijing)

2006 = Winter Olympics (Torino)
Yeah, they've had it like this since 1994, I believe. In '92 and prior, they had Winter and Summer the same year.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Yeah, they've had it like this since 1994, I believe. In '92 and prior, they had Winter and Summer the same year.
I wasnt sure of the year they changed it.

But it makes you think... how much of an impact would it make on todays market if they had them in the same year still? Would it just gel over as if it were just one loooooooong Olympic Game? Or would it just function like 2 olympics being held in the same year?

First thing I imagine is that Winter Olympics in that format would probalby get hit hard, after those interested already got burned out with the Summer ones, Why watch the Winters.