• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

You favourite building, bridge, architectural feat

Joodaa

Hey, I am a student studying art and I need some sort of feed back for my project on architecture. So if you could tell me your favourite architectural feat it would be very helpful. If you can't remember the name an image would suffice.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
My favorites are Puma Punka or the pyramids.

I think its amazing how at Puma Punka they cut such sharp corners or made the stones fit so exact without the help of modern tools. Not just square blocks either they had different shapes. Not to mention quarrying those heavy stone blocks and moving them into place.

World Mysteries - Mystic Places - Puma Punku - Puma Punka

The pyramids are equally fascinating to me. I don't know how they managed this. The stones are incredible heavy but yet they accomplished this with no modern tools. They also built passageways and chambers inside of these too.

What are your favorites?

Last edited:

Joodaa

I think its amazing how at Puma Punka they cut such sharp corners or made the stones fit so exact without the help of modern tools. Not just square blocks either they had different shapes. Not to mention quarrying those heavy stone blocks and moving them into place.

The pyramids are equally fascinating to me. I don't know how they managed this. The stones are incredible heavy but yet they accomplished this with no modern tools. They also built passageways and chambers inside of these too.

What are your favorites?
Thanks for your response, and yeh the pyramids are incredibly fascinating, I'm also really interested in some of the modern almost futuristic types of architecture

dDave

V.I.P.

What are your favorites?
They accomplished the pyramids through an epic amount of slave labor. Definitely took a long time but they had tons of manpower.

I think my personal favorite architectural feat is Stonehenge. It's obviously not a natural formation and nobody has any definitive idea about how or why it was built. The stones are HUGE.

Stonehenge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They accomplished the pyramids through an epic amount of slave labor. Definitely took a long time but they had tons of manpower.

I think my personal favorite architectural feat is Stonehenge. It's obviously not a natural formation and nobody has any definitive idea about how or why it was built. The stones are HUGE.

Stonehenge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I love Stonehenge too and would love to know how and why they were built. There are other ancient places you have to wonder why do this.
------
Thanks for your response, and yeh the pyramids are incredibly fascinating, I'm also really interested in some of the modern almost futuristic types of architecture
To me the really modern type architecture seems cold and unfeeling but each to their own. I know some really like that.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
My favorite futuristic style of architecture is stuff like this...

It just looks really cool. If you're going to make architecture then why not make something into a work of art? Any major building you put up it likely to be there for a really long time so why not make it really awesome?

One of the cooler buildings I've been to is the Pentagon but of course it's just really big, not any engineering genius.

One that I've actually been to that I really thought was fantastic would be the United States Capital...

Inside of the dome looks like this...

And then below they have really intense pillaring and vaulting due to the sheer weight of the building. It's actually really cool to visit. The building itself also has a lot of awesome acoustic properties that some old time politicians really took advantage of.

Scu11

Registered Member
the twin towers :D are my faviorte building/s and wtf do i need to have 40 charcters in one post lmao.....

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Theres tons of really cool stuff out there but these are some of my favorites.

The Geisel library at the University of California in San Diego.

The l'Oreal office building in stockholm Sweden.

Evolution Tower in the International Business Center in Moscow Russia. Its the one in the center that looks twisted (by the Imperia Tower).

The Museumotel in Raon l'Etape in NE France.

A really cool house. :D

A cool apartment building. Dunno if they built it yet but I think it will be somewhere in the Netherlands.

How NOT to build an apartment building in China. It fell over LOL!