• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

You Don't Need This To Be Happy

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I hear this all the time, you don't need money to be happy. Or somebody will say, you don't need sex to be happy. On the radio this morning they were talking about this expression and the radio announcer said that the reason why people say these things is because they don't have it. They don't have money, or don't get sex, so they say that to make themselves feel better. I for one disagree, you can always do without stuff to be happy. What are your thoughts about this? Do you agree with the radio announcer or not?

Paula

Registered Member
With this capitalism, money has become a tool to be happy, because money gives people power, (that's so fking sad..)
I think you can be happy without being rich. There are so many things that can make you happy too, like family and friends.
The nature of people doesn't make them dependent of the money to be happy, but the economic system nowadays make us slave of the money.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Life can be stressful, and anything that helps relieve stress will make a person happier. Enough money can do that, and so do orgasms. Of course working the land for your own food helps lessen dependence on money, and a good work out at the gym can relieve stress. It's personal.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I believe that happiness is a choice and we can still be happy in ourselves in the worst of life situations.

But at the same time, money, or whatever, sure can help relieve stress or financial worries etc... which in turn makes you a happier person. Even if you use it to donate to your favourite charity, and that is what makes you happy. It doesn't need to be a greed thing.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Everyone is different. No one thing will make everyone happy.
You have to make the most of what you have.

I am struggling with money at the moment but I don't let it get me down. It's my fault because I've never saved. It's not like I am starving - I just can't treat myself to things.

To be honest, if a person is unhappy because they don't have material things then that is pretty sad.
If you have your health then the world is your oyster.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The one thing I'll always remember when it comes to "money = happiness" is a guy that used to be here on GF. Probably still is, but he posted so sporadically that it was kinda tough to pin him down. Edit: Found him, his username was/is "RTWmaniac".

So yeah what I was getting at was this guy was a straight up Travelor. He couch Surfed and otherwise just got around the world. Didnt hold down jobs, only had enough money to his name to keep hunger away. But yet he was one of the most upbeat, exciting, and interesting people I've ever had the luxury of meeting.

For him, Money was nothing and he had a blast with life.

So yeah... thats my argument about Money = Happiness. Your priorities in life are what determine what makes you happy. And if materialistic things make you happy.... then sure Money will = Happiness.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
It depends on what you understand with 'happiness'. Sex and money are not everything. I have never tried the first one but that doesn't mean I'm not happy. Just like the saying goes : happiness means being happy with what you have and not look for things beyond that.
I totally agree with this. Overall, I think being healthy, keeping your life busy and being close to your family ... is the real happiness.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I don't think the people who say this are trying to make themselves better. TRUE that they probably don't have or get it: no sex, no money. And I think that makes them better sources actually. If these people manage to be happy without sex and money, then they are right in saying one does not need sex and money to be happy.

On the other hand, someone who is rich trying to comfort another person that "you don't need money to be happy" doesn't really understand how it is to be unhappy and without money. Same with people having sex all the time trying to convince someone that the person doesn't need sex to feel better.

Can we be happy without money and sex? Yes. These are not prerequisites to a happy state. We could feel fulfilled when other parts of our life are going well. Despite that, can these already happy people feel happier with more money and with good sex? Of course. :)

SurviVal

I should think with enough money to buy any material thing he wanted in the world, Steve Jobs would give it all away for the chance of a new pancreas. I should think you can make do without just about anything as long as you have your health.

C-Mach

Registered Member
The radio announcer can be right. Some people who say that they are happy with what they have often say so because they don't have what they want and do not want to reveal their honest intentions for fear of social retaliation. Many are legitimately happy with what they have, but the people that the radio announcer described also exist.