• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

You Can't POP Your Cherry

Iris

rainbow 11!
You Can't POP Your Cherry! (HYMEN 101) - YouTube

New York Times Is Wrong about the Hymen--But They Are Not Alone | Psychology Today

The Myth of the Hymen Continues

this link talks about what women do to appear pure and stuff, but it mentions some of the facts from the video and first link.

The Hymen: Breaking the Myths | Our Bodies Our Blog

First off, contrary to what girls are often led to believe, “the hymen is not a flat piece of tissue covering the vagina, which is punctured during intercourse. If it were, girls would not be able to menstruate before they lose their virginity because there would be no outlet for menstrual blood,”

“Usually, the hymen looks like a fringe of tissue around the vaginal opening,” adds Roye. “It is not an intact piece of tissue draped across it. Some girls are born without a hymen, others have only a scanty fringe of tissue. Moreover, for all its fabled mystery, the hymen is just a body part.”

Furthermore, while hymens can be torn during sex or other physical activity, they don’t “break.” These torn areas can bleed, but it doesn’t always happen.

Some of Roye’s patients ask whether using tampons or riding a bicycle can affect their hymens (and their virginity), or if they are “de-virginized” if a partner inserts a finger into the vagina. Roye also deals with parents who ask her to determine if their daughters are virgins
The quote is from the third link.

I feel so stupid! I can't believe I am twenty one and didn't know that about my own body. Is anyone else surprised or am I the only idiot? It really makes sense, too. I really liked the video, it was very informative and I suggest watching that if you don't feel like reading any of the articles. I only provided those as additional info in case people were wary of the credibility of the video.

Why wasn't I taught this in sex education? I feel like I was failed in that class for being so ignorant concerning my own body.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Well, I haven't really sat and pondered the issue, but it never made sense to me how the hymen could be a sealed piece of skin because of that mentioned period problem. Therefore, it didn't really make sense to me why people said "pop" the cherry, but I just went with it. haha

Wade8813

Registered Member
It's something I'd heard before (about the menstruation thing), but hadn't really remembered. I also always kinda pictured it as a solid barrier.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have never given this a lot of thought but I didn't think it was a flat piece of tissue. I also didn't know you could break it naturally playing sports or some girls didn't have one or didn't bleed after the first time. I don't feel like I know much after reading this article.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Why wasn't I taught this in sex education? I feel like I was failed in that class for being so ignorant concerning my own body.
Because we live in a country that fears knowledge.

I knew a lot of the stuff mentioned, but it is funny to see how much surprise an article like this will get from people. I wish we would have more in depth sex education classes or at least anatomy since we're sort of stuck with our bodies until we die. If you aren't taught how it works, how to keep it working and about some of the weird things it does, aren't you being set up to fail?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Why are people ignorant? There is nothing new here. I'm surprised so many are unaware.

Kinda makes "virginity tests" popular with some ignorant groups seem even more barbaric, doesn't it?

Iris

rainbow 11!
Because the public system failed me and others, SS. As it's done many times. How else am I supposed to know this?

My parents? Then I was failed there too.

My doctor? Yep, totally failed.

I just hate how much information is withheld or changed or just flat out refused to be acknowledged. There was so much information that I learned in high school that just... It was so incredibly far from the truth, I couldn't believe it when I eventually came to that realization.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Because the public system failed me and others, SS. As it's done many times. How else am I supposed to know this?

My parents? Then I was failed there too.

My doctor? Yep, totally failed.

I just hate how much information is withheld or changed or just flat out refused to be acknowledged. There was so much information that I learned in high school that just... It was so incredibly far from the truth, I couldn't believe it when I eventually came to that realization.
If you think that you have been misinformed about this, think of all the political misinformation that you have received in school. My daughter is in first grade and the subtle indoctrination is already starting.

The New York Times is wrong about this and SO MANY other things! :lol:

What can you do? Just what you are doing, find out for yourself. Learning is a life long experience.

Last edited:

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I never knew people actually thought that the hymen stretched over the entire vagina. I was more surprised by that than anything! Obviously most girls know it doesn't stretch over the opening, but I could see how it could be confused that it was stretched across the vagina deeper within the canal.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I started my period extremely young, and definitely visited the gynecologist far earlier than most girls I knew, but I always thought it was just a little fleshy piece towards the bottom of the vaginal canal.

I do remember getting the majority of my education from Tampax.com. I was young, a swimmer (so I had to wear tampons), and didn't really get what the heck was going on, and they had a part of their website, back then, that really explained everything in detail and was geared towards the younger generations. It did discuss the hymen a little bit, so that helped too. That website was a godsend for me since I started menstruating well before my first Sex Ed class.

Sex Ed in my school definitely discussed the hymen in detail, as well as my other anatomy classes in my continuing education, but it isn't surprising to me that some schools do not cover it well. It sounds like it definitely could use to be explained a little more in depth during Sex Ed so girls don't think there really is an explosive pop of some sort during their first time.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think the subject of abstinence-only education should be mentioned here.

It's a system of 'thought' that discourages all forms of sexual knowledge from anatomy and even to contraceptives. Basically, it's a program that does nothing except pressure kids into thinking that sex is shameful, damaging and this religious idea that saving yourself for marriage is the only way to be safe. I think programs like this and our general prudeness when it comes to our bodies is really damaging our youth. Imagine if you had a car and parts of the instruction manual were blurred or if some of the knobs or dials on your dashboard were removed. It's not a very safe car now, is it?