• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

You can visit a Great War German U-boat

Elanor

Registered Member
There are some amazing photos. Going to see it is something I would love to do. It is only about a 2 - 3 hour drive from where I live, so I may make the effort one day. It's a shame there are no current plans to conserve it, even though it was an enemy vessel, it is still a part of history.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It is only about a 2 - 3 hour drive from where I live, so I may make the effort one day. It's a shame there are no current plans to conserve it, even though it was an enemy vessel, it is still a part of history.
I guess it was too far gone for anyone to want to try to repair it. From what I can see it is mostly just a shell. Anything of value would have been stripped out nearly 100 years ago when it beached and the ordinance, bodies, and top secret materials were all removed.

Elanor

Registered Member
I guess it was too far gone for anyone to want to try to repair it. From what I can see it is mostly just a shell. Anything of value would have been stripped out nearly 100 years ago when it beached and the ordinance, bodies, and top secret materials were all removed.
Even without there being anything of value, I think the shell of the U-Boat is still an interesting thing. But, the cost of retrieval could be too much to justify the risk. It could just fall apart if an attempt to move it was made.

dDave

V.I.P.
What a wreckage. That's obviously very far away, if I'm ever in the area I'd like to go see it.

There's a lot of historic value contained within a vessel like that.

I don't think anyone should try to raise other sunken U-boats from the depths.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would love to see that even if it is half gone. Can you imagine spending 6 months in one of those things, never taking a bath and allowed only one change of underwear. Bet the smell inside one of those things would knock you over.