You Belong with Taylor Swift

Discussion in 'Music' started by PretzelCorps, Sep 20, 2009.

1. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

YouTube - You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift (FULL HD) Official Music Video

You know, for a while there, I heard this song over and over on the store radio when I was working at Pharmasave, but it was only recently I saw the video (a la Kanye debacle), and I honestly had only one thought going through my head the entire time:

If the message is supposed to be "you shouldn't pick your partner based on looks alone", isn't it unbelievably hypocritical to be singing this song to the captain of the football team? :stare:

2. Puck

Puck Registered Member

Well, personally, without having seen the video; I thought she was talking about some music loving, book loving, drama free kid. So that part of the song had real meaning, until I saw the video.
    I guess she's just trying to get the point across to younger fans that just because someone's popular doesn't mean they're happy.
    :dunno:

3. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

You think SHE'S trying to send a message? She doesnt write her music. No modern musicians write their own music. They are just poster boys/girls who can either sing or play the instrument. besides, the songs don't have an intended meaning. The writers know that any teenage girl will instantly love the song
    a) because its taylor swift and
    B) they know girls are into that mushy bullshit

its why stupid stars like Kate Perry, the Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus and just about every rapper to exist is famous: Writers, and a sappy target audience

4. Puck

Puck Registered Member

Um, except plenty of 'modern' musicians write their own music.
    Maybe Taylor Swift isn't a part of that group, but there are plenty more out there that are. Just because they're teen stars doesn't make them any less talented. The Jonas Brothers for instance, I may not enjoy their music or suppor them, but I do however know that they write their own music.

5. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I thought she did write her music, or at least the lyrics. I remember her doing an interview some time ago saying she wrote all her songs, and that they were based on personal blah blah blah.

anyway, I thought he song was jut about a guy in general. I don't quite understand how it's hypocritical to be singing it to a football player. I thought the ending was the hypocritical part. She suddenly became this princess type person.

6. Puck

Puck Registered Member

Yeah, now that you mention it, I think she does write her own stuff, because there's that whole thing about her writing songs about exes...

Yeah, the song may just be about a guy, I just took it another way, I don't think it's hypocritical, just not what I was expecting, that's all

7. Jaszibabes

Jaszibabes The Instigator V.I.P. Lifetime

You think rappers don't write their own lyrics? What do you think freestyling is?

Also, Katy Perry and the Jonas Brothers both write music. Maybe not all of it, but they do still write it.

8. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I'm calling bullshit on that. The majority of rappers (talented ones) write their own hooks and verses - it is alright if you were mistaken.

9. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

Ok, The Jonas Brothers can write music, but they DON'T PLAY! Written on the inside credits of every album they release is written the ACTUALL guitarists and drummer and bass player.
    I'll give freestylers credit, they DO sound good and give a great laugh.
    Mainstream rappers do not right their own lyrics though. They are supported by dozens of unnamed writers and musicians.

10. AwkwardlyYours

AwkwardlyYours Registered Member

I don't know...

I think she's a talented chick. I don't know for sure, but as far as I've heard of her interviews, etc, she seems like the sweetest individual...

Also, I understand there's an image thing out there where you can't know for sure until you KNOW them. Which I don't and don't care to.

But either way, I think there's nothing wrong with Taylor Swift, or her music. It's girly, and fun. At least she's a better role model for young girls than is Miley Cyrus. If I had a daughter? I'd rather her love Taylor Swift's music over Miley Cyrus's. In a heartbeat.

Of course if I had it my way, my future children would have MY taste in music... :/
    ------

ALSO I think this misses a BIT of the point :/

I understand what you're saying, and yes, probably it would be hypocritical. But I think she's annoyed at him... In the video, obviously they're used to living next door to each other. They have a "message" thing going on back and forth, right? They're obviously good friends.

She's probably been friends with him for a long time and had a crush on him longer. But he probably got "too popular" to be "with" her... so this song is sung out of frustration and teen angst, though it's upbeat and cheery sounding...

It's a girly music video. Boys aren't SUPPOSED to like it. :rolleyes: You've got to get into the mind of a 17 year old girl to understand the POINT. lol

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009