Yokozuna

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
We never really talk about Yokozuna on the forums, so I was wondering what were your thoughts on the big man? Do you think he was gifted in the ring? Do you think he deserved to get that huge push he got at one point?

Thoughts?

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
It is a shame we dont discuss Yokozuna as much as some of the other greats in the business. It sucks he died at such an early age because I think he's the kind of guy Vince would have brought back at some point.

I remember when he debuted...I was scared of him haha. Also, I didnt realize he was actually Samoan and not really Japanese...that's what happens when you're 10 years old and watching wrestling. I love that I didnt know that stuff back in the day. But anyways...

I also remember the first match I saw of him he faced Virgil at the 1992 Survivor Series....and promptly destroyed him. He quickly won the 1993 Royal Rumble and then the WWE title over Bret Hart at Wrestlemania 9. I thought he was a very good performer considering how big of a man he was. His weight was literally over 600 pounds towards the end of his career.

I think he got to a point in which his heel gimmick wore out and he didnt really get over as a face. But looking back I can appreciate what he did for the business.

HappyFace

Registered Member
Yokozuna was actually one of the big men that had some sort of wrestling ability, he wasn't just there because he was big. But that was the golden era when performers were picked on talent and not just on how many t shirts they could sell.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yokozuna was actually one of the big men that had some sort of wrestling ability, he wasn't just there because he was big. But that was the golden era when performers were picked on talent and not just on how many t shirts they could sell.
I half agree...

I say that because Hogan was still around and he wasnt in the business because of his in ring performances. I do think it was the beginning of that though because WWE was beginning to movce in a different direction

HappyFace

Registered Member
I disagree buddy, Hogan was actually a very very good wrestler he just began to suffer from his own success. If you can find any of his matches from AWA you'll find that he was, at one time a good wrestler.

Anthony1975

Registered Member
Yoko had a great career in Mexico as Kokkina Maximus before joining the WWF. I actually thought he was pretty decent in the ring and for a guy his size ( before the weight piled on that is) he was remarkably agile.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I disagree buddy, Hogan was actually a very very good wrestler he just began to suffer from his own success. If you can find any of his matches from AWA you'll find that he was, at one time a good wrestler.
Right but we're talking about the WWE...not the AWA. Hogan's whole gimmick in the WWE wasn't based on in ring talent but moreso on charisma, selling T-Shirts and being the ultimate good guy. I've seen some of his older matches and they were good...he just didnt bring that to WWE.

I'm sure Vince is partly to blame.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
One of my favorite moments involving Yokozuna is when Lex Luger gave him that body slam. I remember watching that live, and couldn't believe my eyes that Luger actually lifted him and gave him that big body slam.

Sorry Happyface, but Millz is right Hogan was never a good wrestler, I agree in AWA he wasn't all that bad. But you wouldn't rank him one of the best.

When he came to the WWE, Vince saw big potential in him, so he made Hogan into a product and sold him to the fans as much as he could.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
One of my favorite moments involving Yokozuna is when Lex Luger gave him that body slam. I remember watching that live, and couldn't believe my eyes that Luger actually lifted him and gave him that big body slam.

Sorry Happyface, but Millz is right Hogan was never a good wrestler, I agree in AWA he wasn't all that bad. But you wouldn't rank him one of the best.

When he came to the WWE, Vince saw big potential in him, so he made Hogan into a product and sold him to the fans as much as he could.
As a kid I remember his Royal Rumble win and win over Bret Hart at Wrestlemania 9 the most. I stopped watching wrestling sometime in 1993 so most of his career I unfortunately missed.

HappyFace

Registered Member
He fell into the five moves of death routine it's what happened to John Cena, who I'm pretty sure could have been one of the best but when it came down to it money was more important then developing a wrestler,