• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

YGO Tournament Help!

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Is anyone on here still into YGO? My friend is holding a tournament next month and would like some advice on running it (like rules and requirements); he's been given a book and i gave him a link to the latest ban list.

Also, does anyone know about judging? I'd like to help with it by judging. Do i have to be a registered judge? Is there anything i'd have to specifically watch out for? Do i just watch and make sure no one pulls out a banned card? It's all very confusing :confused:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
You have to be registered, from what I remember.

Go to the official site, it's really helpful. Also, check back on Pojo, if you still go there. Those guys always helped me back in the day when I was doing this stuff.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I used to be a judge back in the day, if you want to do anything official you do need to take their little test and such. But of course, it could have changed by now. This info is like, 6 years old :lol: Then again, Upperdeck was always against change, especially change that made things easier.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Is your friend's tournament going to be sanctioned? If not, it probably doesn't have to follow all of the normal rules for that stuff.

Almost everyone who's ever played much yugioh is a L1 judge already - except me. I knew the rules far better than they did, and actually did judging at major tournaments, but the few times I got around to taking the test, the site was down, or my computer was having problems, or both).

Being a judge at a tournament often means you'll have to look over everybody's decklists to make sure they don't have any banned cards on their list. But it always means being able to handle rules questions that come up, and being able to settle any other disputes. If someone deliberately cheats, you need to know what to do. If two people get into a dispute for whatever reason (maybe one person proposed a really lopsided trade), you need to know what to do. You don't need to be able to handle everything, but you need the basics so people will respect you, and you need to know where to go to find what you don't know.

(Just for the record - it's Konami that refuses to do anything to make things better. They handcuffed Upper Deck. Upper Deck knows how to run gaming tournaments, as they've shown with other games.)

Last edited: