Yashin Bought Out

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by andrew_bishop, Jun 6, 2007.

1. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

2. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

WOW!!! I saw this happening maybe a few years ago but not after the year he had this season. He argubly had his best season as an Islander this year in a long time. If he wasn't injured for that long period of time he would haave had even better stats. But like you said Andrew this was a good move for the New York Islander organization and it might even be blessing for Alexei Yashin's career. I wonder what team will sign him?

3. andrew_bishop

I personally think that the Rangers will make a run for him. They seem to sign a lot of guys that seem to be done in their career but try and get them going. Plus having a guy who arguably took the rival team as far as they got would not hurt. Also with the younger Rangers coming into the team it would be good as well to still have a proven vet who don't put up numbers like they thought he would but still plays at a rate that is good for the NHL and for himself.

I also herd that since they have some room now under the cap they are going to make a run for Paul Kariya. But I know that this won't happen. Of all places you have to say the Isles have one of the lower chances of getting the guy. First off he never played outside the West , Second the Isles have been dealing with some more contracts and if they get Smyth back who needs another top line Right Winger.

IMO they should try themselves to get back guys like Blake and Smyth with this money and try and build the guys around players like this. Kariya as good as he is will be gone in a few years so why not take a year or two to build the team up and then have a great run again instead of taking a big chance with Kariya.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I was really surprise when I read the headline. But this is the best situation for the Islanders. They have two major players that are unrestricted free agents, those players being Jason Blake and Ryan Smyth. A big reason why I was surprise is because Yashin got along with the owner, Ted Nolan must of work really hard to convince him to buy him out.

5. andrew_bishop

Yashin was bought out in my opinion because the Isles knew that his time to produce some major numbers like projected was gone. Remember what the Isles gave up to get him? Now compare that with what he has actually done for the team. His leadership role even was never all there and the fact that the Isles over the summer will look to transform into a contender again for the first time in a couple decades and you really can't see Yashin being a part of that. His salary was just to much for the role he was playing on the team.

6. Slimpy

Slimpy Guest

This was a very smart move. Now this will give the islanders some cap space. I think they could use a big time defencemen. Now with the cap space, maybe someone like sheldon sourey could end up in new york. I don't see why they wouldn't take a look at him.

7. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't see Sheldon Souray going to New York. If he's going to leave Montreal he'll end up going to Los Angeles or another californian residance to play closer to his daughter. There going to use the cap space they have to try to re-sign Jason Blake and Ryan Smith. That's why I think it was a good move by the Islanders., not only because there saving money but because they took away a player that everyone hated in the locker room. Nobody wanted to have their locker beside his because he was a a$$hole. By getting rid of him it's going to give more incentive for Blake and Smith to re-sign.

8. Slimpy

Slimpy Guest

I didn't see smyth signing there but now I just realized that he may. New york can give him the money he wants and he seems to enjoy playing there last season, so who knows. It would be a great day for the islanders if they did get him to re-sign. I would make sure they get blake before smyth though. He was their best player last year.

9. andrew_bishop

Blake I can see going back. Symth? Well really it will come down to if the Isles can basically show that they want the guy enough to be a contributer to the team and really help them out. I think for sure though that the Isles will not probably land anybody big name other than their two guys that are free agents. Why because the market is decling and its just not a real big market anymore.