Yanks: Stocking Up

With the Yankees buying many free agents they want, does anyone think it will help them for 2009? Can all of this money "buy" the Pennant? I know this has been their method of things in the past. But will it allow them to dominate? Or are all of these gems like Teixiera and Sabathia not going to meet the needs of the Yankees?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Mark and C.C. are only two players, they need a completely functioning team. They will certainly be a scary team this year, much more than last, but penants are never bought. The Yanks have done this sort of buying before and still fallen flat on their asses come crunch time.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think there going to win the American East, that's if they remain healthy. There starting rotation is pretty scary, especially if Burnett can dominate like he did last season.

There batting line up is scary as well, especially after getting Teixeira. Also I don't believe there down.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Burnett certainly did not dominate, BR. Losing 10 times and having an ERA above 4 is not terrible, but it's not dominating. The Yanks will be scary again, but it's way too early to call a championship in their favor.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
After the Jays fired Gibbons and got Cito Gaston he dominated the game. I know his ERA was pretty high, but that's because he had a best start. I guess I should of worded that sentence better.

I don't think there Championship favorites right now, but I do think their A.L East favorites. If the Yankees re-sign Petite then they'll be even better, if not then they'll replace him with Hughes and Chamberlain, which is pretty good for a fourth and fifth starter.

There also rumours that there trying to get Mike Cameron, they would trade Melky Cabrera for him, and they might trade Robinson Cano and sign Orlando Hudson.

Ryuk

Registered Member
The only guarantees in life are death and taxes. You never know what'll happen during the season so you can't guarantee the Yankees will win the east or a wild card spot. Think of it this way - if not for the entire staff getting injured over the course of the year they probably make the playoffs last season (though most likely as the wild card), but that's a big if that can happen to any team in any season.

On paper are they improved? Yes. In CC and Tex did they pick up two guys that they can potentially center their rotation and lineup? Yes.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not guaranting the Yankees will win the American East Division, I am just stating that they're the favorites to win it on paper this so far this off-season. But you never know, they can get a lot of injuries to their key guys like A Rod, Jeter, Wang ect.

Should be interesting to see though if they'll make other moves.

The Yankees have become much more fiercer with their new team assembled so far. But what's threatening is the possible players they are still to acquire. Manny Ramirez, Ben Sheets, Frank Thomas, Derek Lowe, Pat Burrell, and others are still out there. Money is no issue with The Evil Empire.