Yankees offer Rivera $45M, 3-year deal

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
NEW YORK (AP) - Mariano Rivera was offered a $45 million, three-year contract to stay with the New York Yankees. Now, the team is waiting to hear back from its star closer.

"He'd be by $4 million a year the highest-paid relief pitcher," Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said Tuesday. "To say that's a strong offer would be an understatement."

On Monday, the Yankees retained catcher Jorge Posada when they upped their offer to $52.4 million for four years. Posada is due to take a physical Wednesday, another step toward finalizing that agreement.
Rivera, the next step in the team's offseason plan, was allowed to start discussing money with other teams Tuesday. Steinbrenner confirmed the $45 million offer, which was made several days ago and was first reported by The New York Times.

"The ball's in their court," Steinbrenner said. "If they still want to look for more somewhere else, that's up to them."
Rivera's agent, Fernando Cuza, did not return telephone messages.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7441032

njbroncsfan

Registered Member
He's not as good as he once was and personally I wouldn't him back but he's been here all these years so that has to factor into the thinking. Oh well....

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Why wouldn't you want one of the greatest relievers of all time back. He has done so much for this franchise it's not even funny. He's the best closer in post season history, and a lot of people doubted him when he was off to a bad start this season, but finish strong and dominated the game once again. I would welcome him to my team.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
New York Post - After returning from the Dominican Republic last night, Mariano Rivera is going to huddle with his representatives today and according to several sources is expected to accept the Yankees' three-year, $45 million offer early this week.

The future Hall of Fame closer isn't happy about Hank Steinbrenner talking as much as he has about the contract offer that will make Rivera the highest paid closer by $4 million, but that doesn't appear to be a deal killer.

Though Rivera wanting a fourth year added to the deal has become an issue, it's not clear if the 38-year-old asked the Yankees for the extra year or had a four-year deal from another team. If that was the case, then Rivera is turning down additional dollars to remain with the only team he has worked for since 1990, where he's posted 443 saves (third on the all-time list).

http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_w...8/rivera_expected_to_take_yanks_3_year_offer/