Yankee, Go Home?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Steerpike, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

All things considered, would it be for the better or for the worse if "Yankee, Go Home" was policy?

Weigh and discuss the advantages vs. the disadvantages of "Yankee, Go Home."

2. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

Can you be more specific about the topic or give an example so we know what to go on?

~Shwa

3. Steerpike

The topic deals with whether or not the United States should keep to its own borders militarily. This includes whether bases in other countries should be closed or remain open. What would be the advantages vs. the disadvantages to everyone? Would it be better for the world as a whole or would it be worse for the world as a whole and why?

Is there a middle ground which can get the "best of both worlds?"

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  4. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

Ah ok, well I believe abroad military bases are just fine, we do have treaties of peace with most countries that have them there for added protection. Such as Germany and some other European counties, along with Islands like Puerto Rico and Cuba.Also, on military bases there's a wide variety of trading goods that can be exchanged with whomever they are stationed with, as such we can bring back goods as well. Those are some advantages I see, I was born on the American Military base in Germany, it's pretty nice and stable.

Some more advantages, if an American is accused of something they are taken to the nearest embassy for some protection and to make sure they are not being framed/given a fair trial thats unbias.

~Shwa

5. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I think bases posted around the world are needed, and for some countries it keeps things more safe.

There are ups and downs to it, saves the US money, but also people may lost jobs or less pay etc.

Also it is a strategic thing, being able to have firm locations and be able to move people around.

6. Steerpike

Why do you think the bases around the world are needed?

If the United States closed its bases, then the United States taxpayers would save money. If you mean local economies would be affected by base closures, then you are correct that the expenditures of funds by Americans from those bases would no longer be there to help local economies. Would the local communities be able to adapt to life without the economic support of American bases?

Is this necessarily a good thing for the world as a whole?

7. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Economy for local population, strategic placement.

Well yes they would be able to find there feet but that would be after a slump.

Yes because who knows what might happen, it is just added security for things when shit hits the fan.

8. Steerpike

You admitted (below) that recovery of economies would eventually occur. So far as strategic placement goes, strategic placement for whose interests?

So they would eventually become self-reliant. Is that ultimately in their best interest or is being dependent on a foreign power for one's lively hood in one's best interest?

Whose security?

What does the presence of a military base allow?

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Human beings are naturally territorial it seems, so if it wasn't the United States that was one of the biggest powers in the world, it would certainly be another. Especially when the messages are mixed ("As lead superpower, the USA should be helping the world" versus "The USA should back the fuck off").

10. Steerpike

You have two things you put in quotes, so lets look at the first and how it might relate to the second.

"As lead superpower, the USA should be helping the world."

Does the United States, in practice (militarily), help the world?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008