• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Amusing Yahoo COO Steps Down

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Well that didn't last long did it?

Yahoo's chief operating officer in surprise departure

Yahoo's chief operating officer has unexpectedly departed the company just over a year after he was hired to turn its advertising business around.

Henrique de Castro, Yahoo's second most senior executive, is leaving this week. No reason was given.

His departure deals a blow to the firm's efforts to revive flagging sales and internet traffic in the face of increased competition from rival sites.

It may also be an expensive loss for chief executive Marissa Mayer.

Mr Castro is one of Silicon Valley's most highly-paid executives and may receive a multi-million-dollar severance package.

According to reports, there were tensions between Mr Castro and Ms Mayer, who had poached him from Google shortly after she took over at the company.

Mr Castro's main role was to act as Yahoo's top sales executive and build relationships with key advertising clients.

Source: BBC News
I am unsure as to who is having a worse time of it right now Blackberry of Yahoo!, both companies seem to be struggling and going no-where, well, they are going somewhere, down hill very quickly.

I really do see Yahoo closing shop in the next two years as they become less relevant in the world.

*Title changed as I got it wrong originally

Last edited:

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
LMAO, maybe he realized buying tumblr was a big mistake!

But Yahoo have been on a downward spiral for years, so I guess he's jumping ship before it actually crashes.

Blueyes

Registered Member
The title of the thread is wrong. It was the COO not the CEO that steps down and he was fired.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
The title of the thread is wrong. It was the COO not the CEO that steps down and he was fired.
Yep, I got the wrong title earlier today, I will admit it. As for the reasons well looking at two sources him being fired does not seem to have been confirmed:

BBC News:

Henrique de Castro, Yahoo's second most senior executive, is leaving this week. No reason was given.
The Register:

Yahoo! revealed on Wednesday that de Castro would leave the biz today – having only arrived from Google about a year ago. However, the company refused to explain why his exit was so sudden.
Can you please confirm where you read that he was fired? I am interested in the reason because as well as Blackberry they are dying.