• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV Xena: Warrior Princess

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Is anyone else here a fan of this classic 90's New Zealand show? I grew up watching Xena and used to love it. Recently they have started playing it again in the afternoons here and it's been like a blast from the past. Xena's warcry still makes me laugh everytime she does it but it really is a great show. I'm loving reliving something from my childhood. I'm now considering buying the DVD's so I can own it.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
When I was young, I think the summer before grade 4, I used to watch it everyday during the summer. It was Sinbad the Sailor at like 2, Xena at 3 and Hercules at 4. Nothing like a leather bound women warrior princess!

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I hear ya! I think I was a little older. I was about 7 or 8 and I used to watch it every single day. I get so much more out of it watching it now at 20 years old. So many things I wouldn't have understood as a child.

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I said grade 4 haha. I think that's like 9 or 10 years old. *Shrug*, I understood what was going on at that age. By that age, I was amazed by fantasy/midieval genres. I'd read all the books about mythical creatures and such. I knew about the greek gods and goddesses. So most of it made sense to me. And to boot, instead of reading it, I got to see it live action! haha.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I understood most of that side of it, but the stuff I appreciate more now is the adult humour that would have gone over my head as a child. Even the bisexual relationship between Xena and Gabrielle which is so obvious to me now but when I was younger would have meant nothing to me.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I never picked up on THAT part of it even a couple years ago when I rewatched a couple seasons. I just figured they were REALLY close. However, even back when I was 10, I caught on to what's her face's attraction to Xena. Her name starts with an H I think. At one point in time, she switched bodies with Xena? Turned into a god from eating the ambrosia. Or maybe her name started with a C. Cam...something?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Hmm I'm not sure what that part is, I only just started re-watching it again and have just seen a few episodes. But it is there, I once watched an interview with Lucy Lawless who said Xena and Gabrielle were basically married by the end of the show.

viLky

ykLiv
I very much enjoyed the series.

The only problem I had with it though was near the end it was revealed Xena...

...was a lesbian. It didn't make sense since during the beginning of the series she had a "lover" that was a man and was hinted at she had a crush on Hercules. I don't have a problem with lesbians, it just didn't make sense having Xena turn out to be one.

Last edited:

Starfire86

Registered Member
I used to watch it every day, along with Hercules. I liked when they would bring a character from one show onto the other.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I very much enjoyed the series.

The only problem I had with it though was near the end it was revealed Xena...

...was a lesbian. It didn't make sense since during the beginning of the series she had a "lover" that was a man and was hinted at she had a crush on Hercules. I don't have a problem with lesbians, it just didn't make sense having Xena turn out to be one.
Haha it wasn't exactly a sudden thing. They pretty much hinted right from season 1 that she was gay, and there was fairly obvious subtext all the way through.

When the show first started I don't think they wanted to make the character gay, but the whole gay community took to her so quickly and formed a large part of the fanbase. Because of that I think the makers of the show decided to just go with it. Hence all the subtext etc.