• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

XBOX ONE Xbox One - with no Kinect

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Reading the post that Dave put of for Sony made me go to the Game website to check on the price of how much a PS4 is if I wanted to go out and buy one tomorrow. In doing so I saw on game and the BBC News site that Microsoft have FINALLY done what I wanted them to do and have been asking for for months, they are going to offer a Kinect-less Xbox One!

Microsoft to unbundle Xbox One and Kinect

Microsoft has announced plans to sell an Xbox One console that comes without the Kinect motion sensor.

The Kinect-less version of the Xbox One game console will be available worldwide from 9 June.

Unbundling the Kinect will cut the US price of the console to $399. In the UK it will be £350, the same price as Sony's PlayStation 4.

Microsoft said it made the decision to unbundle the Kinect to give gamers "more options".

It said it would start selling the Kinect separately in the autumn for those that want to add it to their Xbox One later.

BBC News
Game
Now I can speculate that Microsoft have done this due to poor sales or that they have not made as big an impact as they wanted to or simply, they have woken up to their sense and thought what I have been thinking which is "why should I pay full whack for something that not only may I not want but don't really need?". Whatever the reason this do please me. It looks like it will go world wide on the 9th of June and it may or may not make a massive dent. These days it doesn't seem to matter what a company does so much as it matters what the other company (in this case Sony) does in terms of how well they may or may not do.

If you do not have an Xbox One like me has this piqued you interest in it all?

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
We have an xbox one with a kinect. I can't see not having it, while still choosing the xbox one over the xbox 360. Sure the games are cool, but its nice to have the bells and whistles of the voice commands. I didn't realize how much we'd use them, but we do a lot. To me, its very similar to Nintendo selling the piece of plastic cake that played 3DS games.

I'd be interested to see how sales go on this un-bundled set.

dDave

V.I.P.
I still disagree that Microsoft has had poor sales.

I think it's the wrong mentality to think that just because someone isn't in the #1 spot that they're doing poorly. It's like saying Ford isn't doing well because Toyota has sold about twice as many vehicles over the past few years.

I think it's great that they got rid of the Kinect. Motion gaming is just, eh. It's not bad, I didn't really mind it on the Wii but you can't deny that a traditional controller or a WASD setup just feels far better. There were also concerns that the always on kinect could be used by the NSA (or someone else) to spy on us whether we know it or not.

I think it's a good call to still have it available for addition later on. To be quite honest, it's a peripheral that I'd rather have as a separate unit if I had it at all. The software is all still there so this is a smart move.

This just shows how much Microsoft has backed off of it's original design for the XBO. Actually makes me smile just a bit knowing they're actually doing something to make gamers happy rather than basically telling them to deal with it.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I never understood the issue with the kinect except for the fact that it made the console cost more. I remember laughing when I read that people were actually worried that just because the camera was on all the time, it meant people were going to spy on them. How hard is it to throw a tshirt over it if that even were the case.

Anyways, I'm glad its going to be cheaper. I don't plan on having the finances to get the xbox until the fall anyways, but I'll prolly get the kinect too since I love voice commands :D

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I never understood the issue with the kinect except for the fact that it made the console cost more. I remember laughing when I read that people were actually worried that just because the camera was on all the time, it meant people were going to spy on them. How hard is it to throw a tshirt over it if that even were the case.
Whether or not there is any truth to the spying thing, I have no idea. Assuming it is true, throwing a t-shirt over the camera isn't the problem. For me, the problem would be supporting a company that violates my privacy rights. Playing some fun games isn't so important to me that I would be willing to turn my back on an issue I feel strongly about.

ALonelyTemplar

Registered Member
I do believe it still early for motion controllers. The motion controllers will be at the greatest when the era of Virtual Reality gaming comes in our lives. Why play with a motion controller when you can play with an actual controller? At least the Wii controller was far more pleasant to use that the Kinect or Sony's motion thing. In XBOX and PS these types of controllers are more peripherals rather than standarn main controllers, and I think this is why people do not actually care about them. It's an ok thing to have and use from time to time.