• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Xbox Continues to Bomb in Japan

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
The Xbox has never been popular in Japan, it is a market dominated by Nintendo and Sony, with Wii's and the 3DS and PS Vita booming there.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/06/xbox-one-reaches-a-new-low-in-japan/

This article shows that Xbox has reached a new low in sales over there. You have to wonder if they are somehow losing money from this, and that maybe it's just not worth selling the console in Japan at all. Surely it would cost a lot for all the shipping, displays, marketing etc over there only for them to sell so few units.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It doesn't surprise me since, like you said, Xbox has never been a huge success over there, but also, there just aren't many good reasons to buy an Xbox One right now.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Yeah, I'd probably pull it in Japan but I imagine they'd get shit for it. It's a lose-lose for them.

Heading out of E3, it looks like things are shifting. Sony has dominated this generation so far, but I could see the XB1 begin to catch up to the PS4 in a big way. This is back to back holiday seasons that Sony has dropped the ball.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I feel like even if there were big games on it they still wouldn't buy. I've seen footage from the Tokyo Game Show before where there were massive lines for all Sony and Nintendo games, but then at the Microsoft stand you could just walk up and play anything instantly since no one cared. The Japanese seem to be very loyal to the brands they know and trust.