• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Xbox Brand Xbox 360 may be banned in US

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Kind of.

GamesRadar.com said:
Microsoft has been having a legal dispute over patent infringement with Motorola. Not that anyone outside of the companies really minded too much - this sort of thing happens all the time. However, a US Judge has now recommended that the imports of the two Slim models of the console (ie the only kinds they're selling at the moment) into the USA should cease and that existing stock should be banned from sale. OK, now we're paying attention.

Sound like it'll never happen? Well, the same thing has already happened in Germany, with only a temporary injunction placed on Motorola preventing the ban from being enforced. Sounds mental to us, but we haven't studied German law.

So what's going to happen now in the US? Well, the US International Trade Commission's Judge, David Shaw, has made his recommendation, which means the ITC now has to decide whether it agrees, or whether any amendments need to be made.

If the recommendation is deemed sound, that means the buck finally stops with some bloke called Barack Obama. He's the head of some... thing. What's it called? Ah yes - the Free World. The President may have to save Xbox 360. Or at least two models of it. We're guessing Microsoft is in the process of sending him an Xbox or five.
Well now, isn't this interesting. I have to wonder if both the ITC and Obama will agree with the recommendation.

Judge recommends Xbox 360 ban in the US. ... | GamesRadar

Last edited:

Impact

V.I.P.
I heard about the Germany thing and it seemed like one of those crazy European things. I don't see it actually happening in the US.

One thing that confused me though is what's the connection with Motorola and Xbox anyway? I always thought Motorola did phones and I don't see how that gets in with what Microsoft market

ianstarboarder

Registered Member
How the hell would Obama have anything to do with this? All he could do is veto a bill presented to him. The president is not all powerful. This is something that would be decided in court, something that has nothing to do with POTUS. I think xbox just needs to break off some cash if they indeed stole technology. I am sick of these mega corporations getting away with sleazy business deeds, they need to to start anwering for their actions.

One thing is for sure, if you have enough money and lawyers, the company will survive, even at the expense of others...just look at BP

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Oh look, another Law Suit, it must be a week day...

In all seriousness I find this quite funny and wish Motorola well because lets face it, they need all the help they can get right now, but wait just a second M? If you are going to start talking about this then I want to call in the fact that you wanted a massive share of Googles Android platform and still do and you know what that means? Well its a small matter call anti competitiveness and if you do go into business with Android and why wouldn't you this is a very real situation so I wouldn't go jumping on them just yet.

As for the idea that Obama should be involved, has the world gone mad? How has this got anything to do with him? If it turns out this does infringements it is purely between Microsoft and Motorola and honestly, I think Microsoft would win.

StewedParrot

Registered Member
One thing that confused me though is what's the connection with Motorola and Xbox anyway? I always thought Motorola did phones and I don't see how that gets in with what Microsoft market
I am also curious about this connection. What in the world does Motorola have in common with the Xbox 360 Slim?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I love the way they try to blame Obama for everything. This is a decision that will be made in court will have nothing to do with what Obama wants.

If Microsoft was infringing on Motorola's design, well they were just asking to be sued and I don't think there will be any angry voters over this.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I am also curious about this connection. What in the world does Motorola have in common with the Xbox 360 Slim?
I am only speculating as I do not know the construction of the 360 slim or indeed the phones but I am assuming it would be to do with some of the following:

The processor within it
The system architecture on the motherboard

Thats about it really, I would love to know though.

EDIT:

I have just found this which may explain it:

Motorola Mobility has been granted an injunction against the distribution of key Microsoft products in Germany.

The sales ban covers the Xbox 360 games console, Windows 7 system software, Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.

It follows a ruling that Microsoft had infringed two patents necessary to offer H.264 video coding and playback.
This is the reason for the German ban so its possible that after the loss Moto are trying it again.

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I don't think anything will come of this. Microsoft is 5x the larger company that Motorola, and I don't think that there is ANY reason for the 360 to be banned, even if there is an infraction from Microsoft, which I doubt they did on purpose.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think before everyone starts making their judgments, they should do some researching.

Source

In 2010 Microsoft filed a lawsuit against Motorola over patent fees for Xbox 360 technology. The phone manufacturer then countered with a lawsuit against Microsoft that could affect Xbox 360 sales in the United States.

Motorola's complaints against Microsoft say that the Xbox 360 console infringes on five of the mobile phone company's patents related to "secure wireless communication and transmission of video content between controller devices and game consoles," according to ComputerAndVideoGames.com.

At the end of April, a judge suggested that the Xbox 360 should no longer be imported to the United States. An International Trade Commission official ruled that the Xbox 360 violates four of the five Motorola patents, but the judge's findings are subject to review by the six-member commission, according to Bloomberg. This commission has the power to ban imports that infringe U.S. patents, which means that a block on Xbox 360 consoles could be possible
It seems that there are several patent lawsuits going at once and that the 360 has technology that, if considered an infringed upon technology, would more than likely make a good reason for it to be removed from shelves. As for the Obama thing, as annoyed as I get over hearing how everything is his fault, people need to research this too:

According to CVG, Shaw believes that the 4GB and 250GB editions of the gaming system that are manufactured in China should not be imported to the US and any units already in the country should be barred from sale with a cease and desist order. He also insisted that Microsoft should post a bond equal to seven percent of the value of unsold Xbox 360 inventory already in the US, according to Courthouse News Service.

Motorola wanted the bond to be 100 percent, but Microsoft said that there was no clear indication that any consumer had bought an Xbox 360 console in lieu of Droid devices or set-top converters. Microsoft argued for a bond equal to what I saw as a reasonable license fee for the technology, which is 2.5 percent.

However, Shaw needs the ITC commissioners' agreement with his recommendation for any legal action to move forward. The case will then be sent to President Obama's desk where he will have 60 days to decide with his advisers.

Ziggy

Sup?
"secure wireless communication and transmission of video content between controller devices and game consoles"

Isn't that every wireless controller?