• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

WWE's "11 To Watch In 2011"

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
From: WWE: Inside WWE > WWE.com Features Page > Eleven to watch in 2011

Here's WWE.com's list of 11 Superstars to watch in 2011. I'm interested to hear about people's thoughts, and there's a surprise name pretty high in the list.

11. Ezekiel Jackson - Since returning to active competition in October 2010, the massive Ezekiel Jackson has seemed nearly unstoppable. In the year ahead, look for this intimidating former ECW Champion to continue destroying everyone and everything that stands in his way.

10. Tyson Kidd - A former WWE Tag Team Champion alongside his estranged friend and Hart Dynasty ally David Hart Smith, the energetic Tyson Kidd’s newfound in-ring aggression and take-no-prisoners attitude will take him far in the coming year. With his unique combination of submission skill and aerial proficiency, Kidd is determined to win his first singles championship in WWE.

9. Tamina - As the daughter of WWE Hall of Famer “Superfly” Jimmy Snuka, one could say it’s in Tamina’s blood to succeed inside the squared circle (and from off the top turnbuckle). Tamina might be smitten with Santino Marella, but her true passion lies in the ring, where she will no doubt aim to dominate the Divas division this year.

8. Alex Riley - A self-proclaimed “Varsity Villain,” Alex Riley utterly bullied the competition during the second season of WWE NXT, finishing third under the tutelage of The Miz. But just like his WWE Pro-turned-full-time mentor – who captured the WWE Title late last year – this so-called “rare breed’s” bite is just as vicious as his bark. It’s only a matter of time before this apprentice steps out of The Awesome One’s shadow and signs his own WWE contract.

7. David Otunga - David “A List” Otunga was easily the most arrogant NXT Rookie on the first season of WWE NXT. But as his classmates soon learned, Otunga has the skill to back up his boasts. As a key member of The Nexus, Otunga has more than once called into question the leadership abilities of Wade Barrett, leading WWE.com to wonder whether Otunga’s true aspirations lie beyond those of his arm-banded cohorts.

6. Drew McIntyre - When Drew McIntyre joined the SmackDown roster on Aug. 28, 2009, Mr. McMahon called him “a future World Champion,” and “The Chosen One” has already given the WWE Universe every reason to believe in that prophecy. A former Intercontinental and WWE Tag Team Champion, The Sinister Scotsman’s ruthlessness between the ropes makes him a serious hazard to anyone that opposes him – including World Champions – in 2011

5. Skip Sheffield - When The Nexus emerged last June, Skip Sheffield’s haymaker was among the most feared weapons in their arsenal, and for good reason. At 6-foot-2 and nearly 300 pounds, the so-called “Cornfed Meathead” was the most physically imposing competitor on the first season of WWE NXT, making him the ideal human battering ram for Wade Barrett’s nefarious faction. Though he’s currently out of action due to injury, expect big things from this big man in 2011. But will he still stand alongside The Nexus?

4. Cody Rhodes - Like the rest of you, “Dashing” Cody Rhodes’ grooming tips make us want to give him a steel chair facial. But we can’t ignore the fact that since adopting his ultra-egotistical outlook on life last summer, The “Dashing One” has become one of the most impressive Superstars on the SmackDown roster. Earning a decisive WWE Tag Team Title victory alongside Drew McIntyre at Night of Champions, Rhodes proved in 2010 that he’s more than just “smoke and mirrors.”

3. Dolph Ziggler - With his blindingly blonde hair, outrageous ring attire and better-than-you demeanor, Dolph Ziggler craves attention; but like it or not, he often deserves it. Last year, Ziggler won the affections of SmackDown’s Official Consultant Vickie Guerrero, who in turn helped him win his first Intercontinental Championship. Though he attained his historic first title in WWE under dubious circumstances, he’s proven time and again that his Vickie-assisted victory was no fluke.

2. Daniel Bryan - Daniel Bryan was one of the most successful NXT Rookies in the inaugural season of WWE NXT. An original member of The Nexus before parting ways with the group, Bryan went on to challenge his WWE Pro The Miz and capture the United States Championship, and with his technical prowess and wealth of submission holds – including the torturous LeBell Lock – the sky is the limit for determined competitor heading into 2011.

1. Alberto Del Rio - Since his dynamic SmackDown debut in August, Alberto Del Rio – a descendent of Spanish royalty – has made it clear that he has a taste for the richer things in life, including championship gold. If his forceful 2010 performance is any indication, expect Del Rio’s personal ring announcer Ricardo Rodriguez to herald the arrival of a World Champion sometime in 2011.
People aren't going to be happy to see Otunga on this list, and I'm really surprised to see Tamina and Sheffield making it on (I'm fine with that). The descriptions kind of hint WWE's plans for these guys. Thoughts?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Not surprised with the top four, I believe these four will get a huge push in 2011, especially Del Rio who I believe will have an incredible year. There was a reason he was on Raw and we'll see him there often that's for sure. Seems like the WWE are really high on Ziggler too, I wouldn't be surprised if he headlined a main event sometime this year. I wasn't a huge fan of Rhodes at first, but I'm liking his new gimmick, he's playing it really well.

I always thought that Tamina was going to be a store in the WWE, she has a lot of in ring skills and she's going to get the push she deserves in 2011. I would be shocked if she doesn't win the Diva's Championship this year.

Pretty good list for the most part.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
All of the top ones make sense, and switch McIntyre and Sheffield and it makes more sense. I wonder why they're so high on Skip while he's injured?

It's promising to read of Del Rio "If his forceful 2010 performance is any indication, expect Del Rio’s personal ring announcer Ricardo Rodriguez to herald the arrival of a World Champion sometime in 2011."

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Why in the hell is Otunga on the list? Oh yeah, we get to watch him get released this year that's what we need to watch out for. But overall I agree with this list for the most part. Daniel Bryan really needs to build up some charisma to reach the next level though.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
As much as it pains to say this but Otunga won't be released anytime soon. He's married to Jennifer Hudson which is huge when you think about it. She's a big star and the WWE will use that to their advantage. I do agree that he doesn't belong on the list, but the WWE are fairly high on the guy because of who he's married too.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
A lot of people on this list have been a part of big stuff since the start of 2011 (Otunga in the new version of Nexus, Del Rio being hugely over and what has happened on RAW, Riley still always around the WWE Champ, Dolph getting a title shot, Drew getting a new direction and even the fact that DCR was in the number one contender's match).

What do you predict for a few of those who haven't done anything yet this year? How will it be a big year for them? For example, what will Sheffield's return be like, What will Ezekiel Jackson be like on SD, and when will Tyson Kidd and Tamina be legit parts of their respective title divisions?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This list is perfect. Each person deserves its slot! Del Rio is rightfully #1 and Ziggler is #3! I agree with all of it.