• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

WWE-PG: How to get back out?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Whether or not John Cena got fined legit for saying "ass," the incident's likely effect will be to turn the TeenNation sour on WWE's current PG ranking. It might be a clever way of readying the audience for a return to the Attitude attitude. But what would come next? Diluting the product sold itself effortlessly as a nod to 'family values.' Going back to the hard stuff seems like more of a trick, but may be seen by Vince as necessary for the bottom line. If you were in that position, how would you write the change back to TV-14 for the fans (and to a sometimes hostile media and government)?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Without going into a huge amount of depth yet, I'd either

(1) Go with Vince McMahon as a heel character on Television again, pushing censorship. Superstars would rebel and rise up against his tyranny, lol.

(2) Bring in some sort of rebellious stable, a la DX. It's been done into the ground but I think that it works better if a group comes forth with a degenerate attitude versus one Superstar doing it. Perhaps HHH could form a "new" DX to fight the "new" Nexus that happens to be led by the Straight-Edge Superstar, and it could happen that way?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The first think I would do is have a real bloody Stree Fight match between HHH and Sheamus. We all know that since PG started we've only seen blood by accident, having a blood bath match would slowly help remove the rating, then after that slowly build the company to become PG-14 again. Slowly allow cursing, and then you can go to the extreme when people start paying more attention.

I know it's not an amazing way to change the rating, but I think it would be a decent way to do so.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't think they'll ever do it mainly because the more explicit WWE was a way for them to compete with WCW.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think if they are going to eventually get away from PG that they'll ease into it slowly and surely. I Don't think it'll be one huge thing that happens that switches it.

I don't think Cena saying ass is a sign of things to come at all. I think they did it as a shocker to get the angle over and that's it. They might do something like that on occasion but I wouldn't get too excited.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I agree with Cons, I doubt the WWE will allow it to be TV-14 anytime soon. The WWE was TV-14 when they had to compete with WCW, but now they have no competition and I doubt that TNA will ever compete with them. Cena getting a fine was not a things to come but basically a bold statement from the WWE that they are not changing there ways anytime soon.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I think if they are going to eventually get away from PG that they'll ease into it slowly and surely. I Don't think it'll be one huge thing that happens that switches it.

This is the most realistic way that the switch to TV-14 would happen, if it ever does.

I wrote a story just to go with the feel of the OP, though. If you had to make one, Millz, what would it be like?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
You can move TV-PG to TV-14 without noticing much. The E may do that this year. Hard to tell.