WWE Championship Lineage

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Saw this, this morning and it got me thinking...

The WWE World Tag Team Championship, with lineage dating back to 1971, is now considered retired by WWE's official website. The Hart Dynasty are listed as the championship's final holders.

The active tag team championship, currently held by Drew McIntyre and Cody Rhodes, dates back to 2002.
They just retired the Women's title lineage as well and are continuing with the Diva's title history.

Thoughts on them doing this? The women's title I dont really care as much but the world tag titles was annoying to me...why retire that?

I don't like it. Why retire WWEWTTC and the Women's Champion while keeping the newer tag team and Diva's Championship? Really, Diva's Championship? Come on. That title shows no respect for women wrestlers, it's basically just mocking them. The word "Diva" should be banned from the English language because it's THAT bad. That's how much I dislike it.

I don't know why WWE is getting rid of all their champions, if anything they should have more of them. Bring back the Hardcore Champion and you'll have more amazing matches. But no, they won't do that. I have no idea what they're doing. IF I did have to guess, I would say they're trying to limit the amount of titles they have to make the ones they do have more credible. If that make any sense at all. It is WWE after all. :x

Bad move, imo.

Last edited:

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Bad! They retire the Women's Championship, the belt that was held my some of the most influencial women in wrestling's history and opt to keep the "Divas" Championship instead. I agree with ViLKy, its doing nothing but mocking them. And by "them" I don't mean the current women's division, I mean girls like Trish, Lita, Sable etc who put the Women's division on the map.

The Tag Team Division is just a big a joke as the Women's Division, so I'm not surprised.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's not any surprise the two in question are the women's division and the tag team division. Both of which have sucked for a number of years. I haven't legit cared about the women's division (not diva's division) since Mickie James fought and beat Trish Stratus at Wrestlemania 22.

The Tag Team scene is a fucking joke and now they are teasing a Hart Dynasty breakup. They seriously don't have a clue how to book the girls or the tag teams. Its pathetic.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
Such an incredibly stupid move with both titles...the WWE is taking its prestige away with a lot of writing general and with the treatment of those divisions. No reason to turn your back on history, especially when you're praising the history of the U.S. Title in the same breath.

Also, teasing a Hart Dynasty breakup this early is just ridiculous and tag division suicide.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I don't think that they should get rid of the Women's title, should of gotten rid of the Divas title, and the same goes for the Tag Titles. The WWE is going through a transition for the modern fans. I really hope they don't get rid of the IC title and call it the US title when those titles merge. Us old hounds will always know 'the true' lineage and the prestige that these titles once possess. But for the modern fans and most fans in general, they have no I idea how much the WWE has fallen.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
I don't think that they should get rid of the Women's title, should of gotten rid of the Divas title, and the same goes for the Tag Titles. The WWE is going through a transition for the modern fans. I really hope they don't get rid of the IC title and call it the US title when those titles merge. Us old hounds will always know 'the true' lineage and the prestige that these titles once possess. But for the modern fans and most fans in general, they have no I idea how much the WWE has fallen.
1st bolded sentence: I think that this is what they think, but to me it would have an opposite effect. When I became a serious wrestling fan (around 96-97), I enjoyed the fact that becoming a fan meant being a part of something historic and prestigious. Why take that away from new fans? Even kids can appreciate wrestling history.

2nd bolded sentence: I can't decide which I'd rather have stay...the IC title is more WWE, but the U.S. title has dual-company history to it and is older.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's a joke, but does it really surprise you guys? These two divisions have been a complete joke for the last few years. Vince doesn't really care about them anymore. Regarding the Tag Teams, Vince rather pay two guys to have a single match for twenty minutes, then pay four of them having a match for twenty minutes.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
2nd bolded sentence: I can't decide which I'd rather have stay...the IC title is more WWE, but the U.S. title has dual-company history to it and is older.
Yeah thats true, but I think the IC title should stay, I have never really paid attention to who was holding US title during WCW because I was to watching the IC champion like Shawn Micheals vs Owen Hart matches, and during that bout they seemed to be airing the US champion match as well like clock work. I know that US title carries more prestige, but the IC championship was what I grew up on and don't want that title take away. :D

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
The next question is this...

If they do decide to unite the WWE and World Titles do they keep the World Title lineage that dates back to Triple H being the first champion?

I might quit watching if they do that.