• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Written vs spoken words

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
In my current job, I don't deal with clients directly. We either deal with clients over the phone or via e-mail. I much prefer it that way, although I don't necessarily have a problem with working with clients directly either.

That said, I much prefer using e-mail to communicate with at work. I find it's much more thorough and a good way to be precise and have back up of what was discussed and agreed.

How about you? Do you prefer speaking with people directly/over the phone or doing your business through the use of written words?

dDave

V.I.P.
I can certainly hold my own in a conversation and get my point across. I still prefer writing though.

I have a real knack for putting words together on paper. I like being able to carefully read through each line and make sure I'm saying exactly what I want to say.

Probably one of the reasons why I love GF. Gives me plenty of practice. :lol:

I think it's important to be able to use spoken words and written words effectively.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I agree both are important skills to have.

My colleagues always call me to write their e-mails for them or proof read them when they are responding to either an important customer or to a complaint. Some of my colleagues even call me "silver-tongue". They say I can explain myself out of anything on e-mail. :lol:

I don't feel the same about GF though. Seems to be harder here than in a professional work environment where I have a good knowledge of whatever I am writing an e-mail about. :-/

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I prefer to communicate through email, mostly because it's more convenient and to cover my ass. I have so many customers that I talk to, it's also good to have a copy of our conversation, so that I don't get one customer's specifications messed up with another. I also have tons of PO's coming into my email at any one time, which is easier than making 40 calls a day to get a verbal number.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
How about you? Do you prefer speaking with people directly/over the phone or doing your business through the use of written words?
I prefer using the written word to correspond with most people. If I had my choice I would use face to face communication as my written and oral skills are fantastic. I seem to forget how to use the English language when I speak to someone on the phone.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Like Pam, I prefer e-mail because I can always refer back to them if something is queried. Another thing I like is that I have time to think about what I want to say. On the phone you can't do that. You have to be prepared and you have to be able to respond instantly.

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
I would prefer written words. That way, you get a chance to think about what to write before you do it, thus, you face less of a risk of receiving bad results.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Another good reason I thought of for doing written communication, is that most of what people would call me about, I would have to look it up. I hate having someone on the phone waiting on my system to pull up whatever it is they are asking about. It takes way too long.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I prefer written words if I'm dealing with a business that way I have time to plan what I'm going to say. Plus there are no mistakes or someone claiming you didn't say that. I still like to get together with people in person I know to catch up. Talking on the phone isn't my favorite thing to do. I like to keep those conversations short and to the point.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Its easier to talk to someone on the phone but sometimes I like emailing just because its easier and I can get my thoughts on paper first.