Writing songs

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by Shooting_Palanx, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

Who here writes songs? I usually did it before for fun, which I still do. I actually have completed 2 songs, which I feel is pretty solid.

Do you have specific methods in doing it, or do you just freelance it?

Do you write the music first, than the lyrics? Or does it just hit you?

Hmmmm....

2. ColonelHansLanda

ColonelHansLanda Registered Member

I'm rhythm-retarded so I've always stuck to poetry. A friend of mine, however, is ace at song writing and has written some insane stuff. He tends to write the music first and add lyrics to it. I'd like to get his permission so I could share it with you.

3. Shooting_Palanx

I tend to do both at the same time, usually the music just hits you out of no where....funny thing with me is, the ideas usually come to me when I least expect it, like whilst eating breakfast, or taking a shower. LOL...

I ought to put up some of my stuff as well.

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Smelnick does! He's very good at improvisations too.

I wrote songs before. I wrote the words first then imagine the music after. Sometimes though I wonder if it didn't happen at the same time. Like I have the words in my head and as I write the next lines, I can imagine how it's gonna sound and end up being influenced to choose words that will go well with the "music".

5. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I write about one song a week on average. Whether it be an actual song, or an on the spot write up about a gf member. I mostly always write the lyrics first. Then I come up with a good chord progression and rhythm. Then I throw the two together. I always end up changing the lyrics around a bit after to help fit them in.

My more serious ideas I usually get while working. Otherwise, I just write. About silly situations.

6. Shooting_Palanx

Wow, nice...hehe smelnick I think everything we write is always silly, which makes it more fun....

I recorded two songs with my sister the other day, lol....they're full written ones, but yeah my style of writing starts from the chorus...not much emphasis is put on the words per se...but it's mainly written from whatever I've got, rather than trying to "make it fit"...

The chorus usually comes to me, with the music, and I work from there, and make the verses, and what not later....it's pretty fun haha.

7. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

Well, I wrote a couple of songs sometime ago (love and religious songs). The music normally come into being first then the lyrics.

8. Shooting_Palanx

Yeah, you usually get their weird melody or tune in your head, than they lyrics pretty much follow, any of you guys interested in putting your stuff up for the rest to hear? =]

9. guitarguy14

guitarguy14 Registered Member

i usually just write lyrics first then find something that matches with it, or flows with it on the guitar