Writing Contest?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Who here would be interested in a writing contest? Something along the lines of a "short story" maybe 5,000 words max?

The prize would be sponsored by GeneralForum.com and could be something fun like a gift certificate to an online book store or something.

Just an idea. I think it could be fun. The winner would probably be determined by member vote. If I entered (I do like to write) I would obviously not be eligible to win, so somebody else would win the prize regardless of what my writing ranked.

Anyone want to try it for fun and see how it goes? If you have an idea for a prize (nothing too expensive since this is kind of just for fun) just post it here as well. :)

I wanted to give this topic a boost because it's an interesting idea. We'd have to work out who would judge it and all that, but I think it could be fun. And it might finally give me an excuse to write some fiction. I've had a lot of work recently, which is great, but it means I haven't had time to write any fiction.

I love creative writing, even though I may not be great at it. I think a writing contest would be a great idea! My suggestion would be to set a general theme or idea for all the stories to revolve around, though. Or have them all start out with the same line. It is always interesting to see how different the stories end up in the end!

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's true. There would need to be rules and regulations, especially when it comes to judging.

I think a fair way would be to let people vote on them, but then we'd have to be careful because some people might try to register again to give themselves an extra vote. Perhaps only let people with a certain number of posts vote, and maybe say they have to have been registered before a certain date.

It would be mostly for fun but I'd be up for tossing some sort of prize in the winner's direction. Maybe a gift certificate to Barns & Nobles or something. :D

sbarber77

Registered Member
This does sound like fun. I'm not sure I would be able to write anything but I would like to try. I have always wanted to write something but I am never sure where to start.

I really like the idea of having a theme or a begining line or paragraph from which to work. I'll be watching this thread to see if it is a go or not.

nangel78

Registered Member
I think a writing contest is a great idea. I would like to have a variety besides short story. Poetry and maybe best tabloid story would be interesting as well.

sbarber77

Registered Member
Hmm, well who here still wants to do this and what would you want to write about?
I still want to do this but what I would like to write about, I have no idea. That is always my problem with writing is that I don't know where to start.

That's why a contest where I am given parameters would be fun!