• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wrestling: Tough profession

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was looking at Wooly new avatar and sig, and it made me think on how hard of a profession Wrestling really is.

Some of these guys are on the road 300+ days a year, they put there bodies on the line every time they step in to that ring. I know most of them are experts and are trained to take these bumps, but after a while it catches up to you. Edge said it best during his retirement speech. He said something along the lines that you don't know how it feels till you actually step in the ring and compete. I couldn't agree more with him.

A lot of people that don't watch wrestling, or know anything about the business believe that it's like a soap opera. Men that wear tights and fake punch each other. It's so much more then that, and I hate trying to explain to fans that don't follow it that it's more real then they actually believe or want to believe in some cases.

We've seen in recent years so many wrestlers dying over pain killers overdose. The reason being because they cannot take the pain anymore, and they just want it to go away. It's sad to see how many people we lost because of the nature of the business. I know they know what they're getting into when they sign a contract, but some people don't understand that this is there dream, and a lot of them don't want to walk away from it because they love it so much.

I respect dearly what these guys do on a day to day basis. They put on a show for the fans, and put there lives at stake, and I actually believe they do.

wooly

I am the woolrus
It's one of the toughest professions i can think of! That's one of the reasons why i love wrestling, and why i respect wrestlers so much.

It's true that people have no idea how much it hurts. Even something as simple as a bodyslam. I love the story of Brock Lesnar having a wrestling ring in his house. He said whenever people come over they always think "cool! hey Brock, give me a bodyslam!" thinking it'll be you know.... bouncy and fun! And Brock enjoys the look of pure pain on their face every time he slams them! :p

There's nothing i hate more then the "you know it's all FAKE right?" comment. I've lived with a lot of different people over the past few years, and i've pretty much got that reaction every time. Though, every year i've managed to get them into wrestling, and show them how real it is!

For me this is the most startling statistic. it was released last year after Kanyon's death, but it's still shocking every time i see it:

In light of Chris Kanyon's passing over the weekend, it's interesting to note that a total of twenty-two talents who performed for World Championship Wrestling in 1998 have since passed away - nearly equal to a 25-man MLB roster. Likewise, a total of six wrestlers who performed for the World Wrestling Federation the very same year have since passed on (Big Boss Man, "Dr. Death" Steve Williams, Golga, Owen Hart, Road Warrior Hawk and Test). However, only two WWF performer deaths have been attributed to drug use while the WCW list is significantly greater.

In its entirety, here is the list of deceased talents who performed for WCW in 1998. With the exception of one performer, all deaths listed occurred before the age of 50.

» Bam Bam Bigelow - 2007 / 01 / 19 (45)
» Bobby Duncum, Jr. - 2000 / 01 / 24 (34)
» Brady Boone (referee) - 1998 / 12 / 16 (40)
» Brian Adams - 2007 / 08 / 13 (44)
» Chase Tatum - 2008 / 03 / 23 (34)
» Chris Adams - 2001 / 10 / 07 (46)
» Chris Benoit - 2007 / 06 / 24 (40)
» Curt Hennig - 2003 / 02 / 10 (44)
» Davey Boy Smith - 2002 / 05 / 17 (39)
» Eddie Guerrero - 2005 / 11 / 13 (38)
» Elizabeth - 2003 / 05 / 01 (42)
» Emory Hale - 2006 / 01 / 28 (36)
» Johnny Grunge - 2006 / 02 / 16 (40)
» Joey Maggs - 2006 / 10 / 15 (37)
» Kanyon - 2010 / 04 / 02 (40)
» Louie Spicolli - 1998 / 02 / 15 (27)
» Mark Curtis (referee) - 1999 / 09 / 08 (37)
» Randy Anderson (referee) - 2002 / 05 / 05 (42)
» Ray Traylor - 2004 / 09 / 22 (41)
» Rick Rude - 1999 / 04 / 20 (40)
» Renegade - 1999 / 02 / 23 (33)
» Rocco Rock - 2002 / 09 / 21 (50)

Additionally, six more talents who joined WCW after 1998 have since passed on - Chris Candido, "Dr. Death" Steve Williams, Mike Awesome, Rhonda Singh, Sherri Martel and The Wall. All six deaths listed occurred before the age of 50.

On a final note, Kanyon's passing marks the fifteenth consecutive year in which at least one talent who performed for WCW between 1991 and 2001 has died.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Good topic Babe_Ruth and one that I think it overlooked way to easily by people who are either not fans or don't understand it. One argument could be that these guys and girls now what they are getting into, that they know the risks and to be fair that is a fair argument. They don't have to do it as a job but as you say some people just can't stay away - The Wrestler did a very good job of showing it.

When Jim Ross said "they learn how to fall, how do you learn to fall off a 20 foot ladder?", the quote was used on the "don't try this at home" piece and was from the Invasion PPV between Jeff Hardy & RVD and when Jeff did just that and his legs and knees crumpled below him at the time and still to this day I thought "peoples legs are not designed to have that sort of punishment!" and I was amazed when he got up and carried on.

That match brings up other memories, in that same match RVD preformed a spinning leg drop onto Hardy's head with only a small bit of carpet, even now I watch that and think "pffffft thats gotta hurt!"

But that is the most interesting thing in my opinion that sometimes it is the small things that cause the most damage, look at when Vince bust his knee running to the ring, a simple move done day in day out, that looked so painful...

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Wrestling is indeed a tough business, and very few outside the IWC understand that is isn't just men and women dancing in the ring. It is always hard to acknowledge deaths in any profession, especially wrestling. Cynics would gladly say STEROIDS STEROIDS STEROIDS, but it is more than that. These athletes' bodies are ravaged on a daily basis, and they never stop enjoying it. I give them more respect every day I watch it.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
It does surprise me how many idiots there are in the world who think everything that happens in a wrestling ring is fake and that nothing hurts. They should watch Tough Enough.

I'd be willing to say getting into the WWE is harder to do then being a pro athlete in most sports.

viLky

ykLiv
I agree, it is tough:

o-- Traveling ALL the time. And sometimes to places you despise.
o-- Being away from family.
o-- No basic routine (this could be seen as good or bad).
o-- Injured/In pain the majority of your career.
o-- Backstage politics
o-- Ass kissing the "bosses" to get anything resembling a promotion.
o-- Getting bullied by others as a way of paying your "dues".

Extremely tough business to survive in. I would quit within a week solely based on not supporting getting bullied as a way of paying my dues. That's just a bunch of bologna, I believe. Not to mention "earning respect" which I never understood. Why not just give respect to everybody and then have them lose/gain it? Weird, but whatever, maybe I just don't understand that world.

Kratzenkov16

Registered Member
i agree that it might be one of the most toughest things to master and get into in all of sports. it destroys bodies and destroys livlihoods. they need a union in the wwe and tna as well

i have all the respect in the world for these athletes...

viLky

ykLiv
they need a union in the wwe and tna as well
I agree with this more than ever. Somebody needs to look after these folks 'cuz it seems as if their (the wrestlers) passion takes over their mind where they no longer think about themselves, but rather pleasing the fans, their bosses and retaining their spot on the top. Once you go into the business you just get your ass whopped. It'd be nice if they were protected somewhat by an union.

Last edited:

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I agree, it is tough:

o-- Traveling ALL the time. And sometimes to places you despise.
o-- Being away from family.
o-- No basic routine (this could be seen as good or bad).
o-- Injured/In pain the majority of your career.
o-- Backstage politics
o-- Ass kissing the "bosses" to get anything resembling a promotion.
o-- Getting bullied by others as a way of paying your "dues".
This pretty much hits the nail on the head. I mean if you think the guys in the WWE have it tough - look at the guys on the independent circuit, namely guys from CZW. Look at all the shit they put their bodies through. Nick Mondo basically retired after just a few years in the business. I think he was like 25 or 26.

Anyone who thinks this is fake is either blind or retarded:
YouTube - Revised Nick Mondo Career Tribute MV - "Unscarred Montage"